Monday, October 13, 2008

October 12 of 12

I've been good about taking these on the 12th of each month, but not so good when it comes to posting them. The challenge really involves making a scrapbook page from these photos, but that'll have to wait. The 12th rolls around way too fast around here! But I do enjoy getting the photos taken and looking back on the months. So here's a peek into my day yesterday:

With all that's been going on, where else would I start the day than in the kitchen? It seems to be the only place I've been these past few weeks. I'm being held captive and when I walked in this morning at 4 am, I was greeted by the first pile of clean dishes in the sink drainer.

First order of the day: cut out the donuts. It's become a tradition for me to make homemade donuts on the last day of works around here. I make the dough the night before and stash it in the icebox where it can do its thing.


Then, I'll be honest, I crawled back into bed for a few minutes while they began to rise. I made breakfast burritos a bit later, but caught a few winks before I started throwing those together.

Here are the fried donuts. So NOT healthy, but so VERY yummy! I sugared most of them, but glazed some as well. Sometimes I fill them with jam, but not this time. The donut holes are just too convenient to pop into your mouth and yes, I did just that!

The morning was cold and drizzly. It had rained most of the night and last 3 members of the crew pulled out about mid-morning and headed back to Texas. They were a huge help and we enjoyed having them, but as they pulled out, it was a welcome sight. We were pooped! I did not envy them the long drive.


More dishes, what else?

Here's a smart critter. Taking a cat nap seems like the thing to do!

So here I've been complaining about spending all of my time in the kitchen adn what do I do? - make a new apron?! However, I've been trying to get this apron sewn for some time now. I saw the pattern in the local quilt store and have been coveting this material at Hobby Lobby for a while. I just didn't know what to do with it - I think an apron will be so cute. I am a messy cook and I've ruined more than one shirt so an apron is the way to go.

Hello shoes. I've missed you! These are the hiking shoes I walk in every morning - well at least every morning when I'm not cooking for a dozen men.


A late afternoon walk was just what I needed. I can't begin to tell you how good it was to walk in the warmth of the fall afternoon. Yes, I was exhausted, but just getting out there restored my soul.


Everyone laughs at me when I talk about the 'golden light' that falls in the early mornings and late afternons, but there it is. The sun just sets things afire, especially in the fall.

Even the penned cattle seemed to be basking in the last remains of sunlight.

When I returned home, I finished up that apron and pleaded with DD to model it for me. I love it and will definitely be making a few more although it might be too cute to get dirty! There's some fall fabric that caught my eye last week.

That concludes our visit for today. After I snapped this photo - I headed directly to bed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the pictures...You know you can't post pictures of doughnuts, without sharing the recipe right? :)

cottonpicker said...

CUTE apron!! After fall works, the world is as it should be. You deserve a rest!!

Anonymous said...

What a great set of pictures! The apron turned out so well. Now we just need to get DD to get a picture of YOU modeling your apron! :-)

Maria said...

Hi Karen,
What a nice day. Seeing these pictures makes me miss you too, the memories just flood back in of our times together back here in Texas. When will I ever see you again my friend? You are an ispiration to me =). Your apron is just so you, lovely! May God cont.to richly bless your end of the dirt road!
His,
Maria

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...