Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy New Year Y'all!

Here's wishing all of my scrapping sisters, blogging buddies, quilting comrades, fabulous friends and fantastic family a happy, healthy, blessed New Year!


DH's birthday is on New Year's Eve, but he spent it wrestling with a bout of the flu so his celebration was put on hold for some much needed snoozing time under a flannel quilt. I spent it bleaching and Lysoling every surface in the house. I must have done 12 loads of laundry in hopes of keeping everyone else from getting sick. I have only seen him feel this badly once in 22 years. It takes a mighty big bug to knock him down and this one certainly did that. Poor guy didn't even get to enjoy any birthday cake and the fact that he didn't even open one gift was quite a disappointment to the 3 little cousins who were ready to celebrate.


For some reason unbeknownst to me, he still felt as if he needed to make a feed run to tend to some calves. I am married to a stubborn man.Running a 103.3 fever didn't stop him from making that feed run although he did concede to taking DS along to help. Sigh.


Thankfully, the next day he was feeling more like rejoining the human race and the celebration commenced. The kids let all of that cooped up energy loose and the hat-wearing, horn-tooting, popper-popping, candle-blowing, cake-eating, gift-unwrapping celebration was a huge success! Nothing like having a couple of little rascals around to increase the excitement!


They all pulled out yesterday, so I have yet to take a deep breath and take inventory of the coming year. I finally dismantled all of the Christmas decorations and tucked them safely away into their little corner of the shed today. Seems like I just put everything up! The house looks clean and empty and lonely now.


Both kids are out of the chute this afternoon for an evening of movies, jamming guitars, and dancing. DH and I plan to make a trip in later for a date night. More than likely, that will include a couple of hours perusing the aisles at Home Depot (probably picking out a new toilet - that's the kind of thing you get to do on date nights after 21 years of marriage.), some enjoyable conversation over a shared appetizer somewhere, and a shared coffee while browsing in the bookstore. We should do that more often, but we're such homebodies that neither of us like driving into town in the evening, even though we do enjoy our time together when we do.


I am hoping that the first few days of the New Year are not a sign of the days to come. It's been a bit hectic and I am worn to a frazzle and ready for it all to slow down. Tomorrow I hope to make some cinnamon rolls and bake some cookies and dive into some scrapbooking and take some pictures and take a nap.


I hope y'all will take some time to do something for yourselves as well. Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Paula said...

I am always so motivated to scrub the house from top to bottom when someone has the flu! Your DH sounds like my DH - even when they are flat on their backs, they'll find a way to get up and tend to something! So glad he's better!

My Christmas is packed away also - I'm trying real hard to keep a cleaner home! But muddy boots, toy buckets, and loads of dishes are kicking my behind!

Blessings to you!
P.

cottonpicker said...

Glad your life is back where it's supposed to be - if you were'nt worn to a frazzle, I'd be a tad worried. Hope the rest of you stay healthy!

Paula said...

Alright - I read your post and we have the flu! I need a nap before I can get to cleaning!

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Ditto to the super duper house cleaning when sickness shows up.
I wish my Christmas was packed away...maybe this weekend. I hope that you got to scrapbook. I sure have had the itch to do some, but unfortunately time has not allowed that to happen.

Ranch Wife said...

P-Well I certainly hope reading my post didn't give y'all the flu! Hopefully y'all are feeling better today!

Brazle - Ah! A fellow scrapper! I know all about the lack of time for scrapping - last year I only completed 20 pages - so sad! This year I joined a scrapping challenge and I figured I had better hop to it before life got any crazier - I'm a really slow scrapper, but 11 pages so far!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...