Monday, March 16, 2009

Dirt Roads

I didn't write this, but I adore the man who did. He's written many pieces that speak to me. This is probably one of his most well known pieces. Many of you may be familiar with it and may have heard it on Paul Harvey - who sadly, passed away last week, but he is not the author. Paul Harvey will be missed. I have fond memories of his signature voice broadcasting over the airwaves for as long as I can remember. I've bounced over many a pasture while listening to "The rest of the Story". However, this was written by a man named Lee Pitts. I am familiar with him through the column he writes in various livestock publications. I found one of his books in a bookstore in West Texas one day, years ago and spoke of it when we had company at some point and time. The book left with the company. I purchased another one. Yet another batch of friends left with it. I was bound and determined to have one for my own, but each time I bought one, I would watch it leave with whoever I happened to mention it to. Hmph. You would think I would learn to keep my mouth shut. Then I couldn't find it any more so I contacted Mr. Pitts and ordered 2 copies plus one of his other books. The dear man sent me all of his books! I love them. As you all know, I am passionate about my dirt road and I wanted to share this original piece with you. My mom asked me one day what I would do if I had to live somewhere else. I told here that I would acclimate as long as it was at the end of a dirt road:

What's mainly wrong with society today is that too many Dirt Roads have been paved.

There's not a problem in America today, that wouldn't be remedied, if we just had more Dirt Roads, because Dirt Roads give character.

People that live at the end of Dirt Roads learn early on that life is a bumpy ride. That it can jar you right down to your teeth sometimes, but it's worth it, if at the end is home...a loving spouse, happy kids and a dog.

We wouldn't have near the trouble with our educational system if our kids got their exercise walking a Dirt Road with other kids, from whom they learn how to get along.

There was less crime in our streets before they were paved.

Criminals didn't walk two dusty miles to rob or pillage, if they knew they'd be welcomed by 5 barking dogs and a double barrel shotgun. And there were no drive by shootings.

Our values were better when our roads were worse!

People did not worship their cars more than their kids, and motorists were more courteous, they didn't tailgate by riding the bumper or the guy in front would choke you with dust & bust your windshield with rocks. Dirt Roads taught patience.

Dirt Roads were environmentally friendly you didn't hop in your car for a quart of milk you walked to the barn for your milk.

For your mail, you walked to the mail box.

What if it rained and the Dirt Road got washed out? That was the best part, then you stayed home and had some family time, roasted marshmallows and popped popcorn and pony rode on Daddy's shoulders and learned how to make prettier quilts than anybody.

At the end of Dirt Roads, you soon learned that bad words tasted like soap.

Paved roads lead to stress and danger. Dirt Roads more likely lead to a fishing creek or a swimming hole.

At the end of a Dirt Road, the only time we even locked our car was in August, because if we didn't some neighbor would fill it with too much zucchini.

At the end of a Dirt Road, there was always extra springtime income, from when city dudes would get stuck, you'd have to hitch up a team and pull them out.

Usually you got a dollar...

always you got a new friend...

at the end of a Dirt Road.

10 comments:

Patricia said...

Our road was dirt, now it is paved. Even just 5 years ago things were simple here compared to now. Love you blog! Thanks for sharing!

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Love IT!!

Wish I was on a dirt road...someday I will be again!

Joy said...

Amen to that..... I loved it. Even our little dirt road doesn't seem as simple as it should be.

Paula said...

Excellent - Dirt roads do teach you alot! Glad I'm on one as well!

Blessings~
P.

Joy said...

Hey! After I talked to you this am I started thinking about what you said about selling your copier. I am interested.... Give it some thought and let me know how much. Talk to you soon... God Bless!!

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love this...and I'll keep dreaming about my own dirt road as I long to live on one someday!

Amy said...

Amen sister! I no longer live at the end of a dirt road but my Mom and Dad do and I love going home. Walking that dirt road is a joy. Blessings. Amy

cottonpicker said...

Love it!! I love my dirt road too! No telling how many miles I've walked our dirt road in the last 20 years but I never want it paved!!

Mikey said...

I love this post. So true. I've always said, when they pave the road, I'm moving. I live at the end of a red dirt road, and you can't change that! I refuse to live anywhere BUT at the end of a dirt road. So very very true, all of it. And I found zucchini in my truck the other day too...how funny is that? :)

derald dieterich said...

I just now read this while walking on our dirt road outside of Goldendale. We live one house away from the end but it feels so like the end to us and how I wish our kids could have grown up here. October 7th 2023

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...