Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Custom Made Sewing Table

A few weeks ago, when I went to the quilt show, something caught my eye. You've probably seen those quilt ladders. Well, I've been eyeing them for some time and sure enough, there was a booth filled with them so I sauntered in and met the builder. My eyes quickly darted from the ladders, to the pretty coffee tables with glass storage for quilts, to the nice wall cabinets for thread storage. So we began to visit... and visit...and visit some more. I was thrilled to find out that he was a local resident and just about the nicest guy you could ever meet. Come to find out, he also makes these very cool sewing tables. Well, they really set on top of a table, but they allow you to have a even surface with your sewing machine so that you can eliminate that drag when you're quilting. He custom makes these for any machine and he'll make them any size. Mine is just a standard 2' x 4' because I just don't have a lot of room, but I love it!

It just makes sewing and quilting so much nicer! It allows my space to be portable too which I sometimes need for it to be. He'll make an actual table with cabinets and drawers too (he made one for one of the lady's who works at the quilt store), but I think this a great solution for those of us who don't really have a dedicated sewing room.
On the plus side, we've got great windows in this house and the light is wonderful here.

He's made them for lots of the quilters in the area. Here's  the one he made for me:

My sewing machine just slides in from the end and nests neatly in this niche. I don't have it butted up against there just right in this photo:
Its got a great storage space underneath. At he moment, I have some of my thread tucked in on the left end:

And just to the left of my machine, I have this utensil organizer that houses small items like my scissors and  my walking foot and needles:

The lady that quilts some of my quilts has two of these tables and she told me that the little organizers work well.

There's another cubby behind the machine on the right side too, but I don't have anything stashed there yet.

I love the color too. I told Bobby to just use whatever he had. I'm sure glad it wasn't pink! Not that I have anything against pink, but this just fits in with our home better.

Bobby even offered to drive out to my house to take the measurements of my machine, but I just hauled it in to him. Added bonus: when I walked into he and his wife's home, I got to see all of the amazing things he has built. Wish I could show you pictures, but he probably already thinks I'm a bit strange and it just may confirm his notion if I started snapping pictures in his home. I wanted to rip his kitchen cabinets off of his wall and take them home.

I've also been looking for a microwave cart and yep, you guessed it: there it was in Bobby's home. Guess what he's building me next? I think he needs to adopt me.

But for now, I am hunkered down right here whenever time allows


...and even sometimes, when time doesn't allow. Burnt cookies, anyone?

  In the meantime, I am simply over the moon about my little sewing table. I left the ladder so that Santa could bring it to me for Christmas.

5 comments:

NaomiG said...

That is the COOLEST. THING. EVER. Love it!!!!!

Shelljo said...

I agree, that is COOL. And I can see how convenient it would be. But it still doesn't inspire me to start quilting :)

Rose Marie said...

This past spring, my DH made one of these tables for me and they are the best Sewing now is so much easier and quilting .... well what can I say.

Have to say ... your table does look better than mine ..... a lick of paint or stain would make an improvement (right now it is just plain natural wood).

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

That is GREAT! So happy you found Bobby! I'm having a visual of you in his home...taking pics...LOL!

Karin said...

Rose Marie - my DH is handy like that too, but the ranch keeps him on his toes and there's no telling how long it would be before I actually got the table. DH thought it was a steal. I actually like the look of natural wood.

Cow Pies - well, he hasn't banned me from the premises...yet. LOL.

Naomi - it is!

Shelljo - I was once a cross-stitcher too you know... One of these days you may come over to the dark side...in the meantime, its been a while since you shared some of your pieces! I want to see what you're working on.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...