Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Gray, Gray, or Gray?

I am joining in with Bonnie Hunter's new Mystery Quilt this year. Seems like she's going to have a whole lot of company on this one. I've never participated in a mystery quilt and she promised that this one was going to be simplified, thus she has named it Easy Street.  Do I NEED a new project 5 weeks before Christmas? No, but this has nothing to do with need and no one says it has to be done NOW. Still, this looks like fun and who can resist that? :)

I loved the colors she pulled although they are completely out of my comfort zone. Still, something tugged at me to make this so I pulled from the bottom of my bright colored stash box and came up with more than I thought I would.

 I think that stuff really does multiply while it sits on the bottom of the pile. There is no other explanation. Apparently fabric multiplies by mitotic replication. Ha! I DID learn something in school!

However, I had no grays. Well I had the one gray in the photo above, but although I love it, I thought it would be too busy and dark and compete with the brights. So I turned to the Internet and came up with two more options. Alas, I now find myself in a dilemma. Thankfully I have y'all,  from whom I can procure wisdom. :)

The original gray:


A gray on gray dot:


This is the mirage gray from Connecting Threads. It's similar to a Moda Marbles


Here's a shot of all three:


 And now I think I have become addicted to grays and black on whites. If y'all need some black on whites, I left you some over at Fabric Shack . It's the only shopping I did this weekend.

I suppose gray is gray,  but I also have this kind of trouble choosing paint colors.

13 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Yay!!! look at you !!! I can't wait to follow along with you!! I will live this mystery thru you!!! GO GO!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow! I like the lighter grays! The marbles would probably be my top pick, but the dots looks awesome also. Either would be great!

I know what you mean about multiplying!

Great work!

Darlene said...

I'm so confused! LOL I like 'em all. :-)

Have fun - I'll be peeking in to cheer you on.

CathyH said...

Not to make your decision any harder - but I really like your original gray. It's close to black... and I think it will really show off the brights. I'll be a part of your cheering squad, but I just can't add another project - easy or not! Have fun!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

I figured you were up to your elbows on "Easy Street".... LOL. I'm having the same problem with the GRAY. I have a lighter one, but I think I'm opting for the darker Blank Fabrics 'Splash' gray, which is like a Moda Marble AND in my stash. I like contrast and when looking at some of the linky 4 patches that are done, the lighter grays disappear. Decisions, decisions!!!

I think I'll be able to keep up with the first clue, but may just print and sew after the New Year on some of them. Lots going on.

Have fun choosing and get busy sewing!!!!!

Denise :) said...

Ummm...you forgot GREY! ROFL! I'm going to be doing this mystery *vicariously* through you (and several others). I'm *really* looking forward to it! ;)

Pauline said...

Yummy colors. Yes, I think CC's Mirage is a lot like Moda Marbles, just not as expensive.
Mitotic, I wish it would happen in my stash too. Are/were you also in a medical field?

Sisbabestitches said...

I would have to agree with Cathy H, the darker grey will really highlight the brights, though next to the black and whites I like the dotty one :)

Dar said...

I too am doing Easy Street and decided I would "GO" with what I had even if it's not perfect. My vote is for the Mirage Grey or the dotted one. My grey is very boring, but hopefully the other colors will get more attention that way!

Doniene said...

Wonderful choices - I like them all!!!! What ever you do, it will be perfect!

Blessings

Staci said...

Hmmmmm..... Have you considered using Gray by chance????

;-P

Darlene B said...

I like the original (dark) one the best! It will contrast nicely with the colors, but also show up better with the black/whites!

Quiltsmiles said...

Karin I like the gray the best! lol, roflol

Okay settling down now. Really from a distance the dotted one was lovely, though I do love the mirage one too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...