Thursday, June 13, 2013

Chicken Coop Visitor

OK - Fair warning...again...another creepy crawly critter report.
 Found this fella in my chicken coop on Sunday evening.



He tried to creep out through the chicken wire, but I had three eggs missing today and I think I know where they are. LOL

I went in to report to my resident Snake Wrangler and he gallantly came out to evict him:


I thought it was kind of funny timing since I just posted about my snake phobia a few days ago:



This is a bull snake, so as snakes go, he's a good snake:


I was quite proud of myself. Initially, there might have been a shiver, but I thought I was pretty brave. When our boy saw these pictures he said, "Why did you need a stick?" LOL.


DH thought he was about 5' long. I thought he was bigger than that, but history shows that I am not very good at estimating the size of snakes. DH is 6' so I think he's closer to that. but I was not about to argue that point.  DH took him to the shop and he has been relocated to another part of the ranch:


As for me, I'm hoping that concludes my creepy crawly critter posts for a very long time. I've never had my hair colored, but it might be time.

10 comments:

Doniene said...

Yeah, snake wrangler!!

Blessings

Catherine said...

I LOVE bull snakes. They average four to five feet here and I am startled when I run across them. They make a dent in our rattlesnake population.

I noticed our local rattlesnakes are larger over the years. The Mohave Green`s are sometimes a foot longer than they were 10 years ago. Every time I walk out the door I have to watch for rattlesnakes. I hate it. My dogs have a particular bark for the darn things thank goodness. King snakes and the bull snakes are welcome guests.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I can't say as I like snakes all that much but if they are not harmful I leave them be. Here in Arkansas we occasionally see copperheads and I don't want them around! When traveling I almost stepped on a rattlesnake once - luckily I heard the rattle in time and stepped back carefully and we threw pebbles at it from a distance to get it away from the path while we were hiking. Now I am even more careful than I normally am.

Nancy said...

I avoid snakes of any kind as much as I can.

Great photos.

ytsmom said...

I have a climatis growing along a chain link fence. Usually it grows back on the dead wood. This year it has been slow to come back, and is not growing on the old wood. I was going to remove some of the dead stuff, and a garter snake had crawled up in there. Made me jump! Luckily we have some cats that keep the population down.

Jan Baker said...

I love your stories but could never live there. Guess I am too used to just little creepy crawlies.

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Ick.
that is all
{grin}

Michelle said...

Those big snakes can sure give you a shock when you're not expecting them, can't they? I came around the back of the van one afternoon to unload groceries and almost stepped on one. Part of my brain was telling me we don't have rattlesnakes in this part of Oregon and the other part was telling me I was going to die...

Vickie said...

I fainted, but I came to so I could tell you I fainted.

Denise :) said...

Girl, ya' done good!! Bull snakes are good ones, huh? Except when they're eating your eggs. *sigh* Let's talk about quilting, next, okay?? Or cooking!!!! LOL! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...