Saturday, January 30, 2016

Lately

Besides being in a prolonged sewing slump, it seems as if I have also been neglecting my blog. I don't know what's come over me.

Today it's been 6 weeks since our 2' of snow and there's still a little bit of it that refuses to melt:

                  

But the weather's been absolutely beautiful - 50's - 60's - and 75° forecasted for today. I've been spending a lot of our time bouncing over ranch roads in the feed truck with this guy who keeps me laughing:

                                      

I think everyone's grateful to see sunshine and be rid of the snow:

                       

The bulls are so gentle that they will saunter up to sniff your fingers and grace you with bull slobber:

                      

And the babies are hitting the ground!

                        

In the kitchen, I've been on a bit of a Pico roll. Seems I want to eat it on everything including breakfast:

                                 

And my poor sewing machine continues to sit. Forlorn and neglected. I figured if I wrote about it, maybe it would spur me into action.

I finished 12 quilts in 2015 and made a good dent in my UFO pile.
                               

The remaining UFO's are all at the quilter's and will only require binding so I am free to make a new list. This fall, I already started 5 projects and I hope to focus on those in an attempt to tame the UFO beast before it gets out of hand again.

I think I have 7 quilts at the quilter's and with the 5 I've started, that makes 12, meaning that may be the 12 quilts I finish this year. However, seeing as I haven't sewn a stitch since about 2 weeks before Christmas, I'll be lucky if I even get ONE finish this year. Surely I can finish one, but don't hold your breath - at this rate, it may be June.

11 comments:

Janet O. said...

Slumps happen. Sometimes I have wondered if I would ever come out of one, and eventually I did. But you certainly have plenty going on around you to keep you busy!

sherry said...

ok you like to read so here is something i just read and it pushed me back to my sewing machine…it called "Big Magic" by elizabeth gilbert who wrote 'Eat, love, pray" she talks about inspiration and ideas and how we need to commit or they move on to people

Pauline said...

Well I'm no diagnostic, but it sounds like your brain is needing a diversion from the intensity required of it when sewing something complicated or something that takes forever to finish. Don't worry about it! One of these days you'll see something you just "have to" create and you'll be back at your machine. After Christmas I had to get away from quilts so I made totes. Now I've had enough of that and am eyeing other things. Just enjoy your neat hubby and your beautiful surroundings.

Anonymous said...

I agree maybe you just need a break after getting so much done on the quilts. My quilting time is limited so it really takes me a long time to finish one.

Tired Teacher said...

The photos of your completed quilts are wonderful - such a variety of colors and patterns. Well done!

If you aren't sewing, I bet you are making progress on your Reading Challenge.

Denise :) said...

June is still this year -- with six more months to follow! Take a month or two off and enjoy the weather, the Pico and the bull slobber. ;)

Judy said...

I was in a slump the first part of last year till summer. You made 12 quilts!!!! How amazing is that!! I made 3. So be proud of yourself! Who is telling you to get going? Enjoy your hubby time and those sweet cows! Our weather is rain and more rain. California should come out of their drought this year! God is good! Take it easy dear.

Anonymous said...

You don't quilt your own quilts. I guess I didn't realize that. Slumps happen to all. Something will hit and you'll revive again.

Staci said...

Happens to all of us, there are times that quilting takes a back seat. Sooner or later you'll wake up excited about sewing and playing with fabric again. Sewing when you don't feel like feels like WORK and quilting should never feel like work! Enjoy your slump--keep filling it up with other things that you love!

Caitlin said...

Love that picture of my papa. :)

Dar said...

Your slump will pass when the time is right. I have so many "to do" items on my list that I never seem to be in a slump. My excuse is I only have two hands and it's hard to quilt, sew on the machine, knit, read a good book, eat and sleep all at the same time!!! Oh yes, I forgot how much time this terrible, old computer eats up. Time to get a new, faster model for sure. Enjoy the warm weather. We are in for more winter this week after having Spring and Summer for a week.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...