Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Stuffed Poblanos

I cook a lot and I have collected a lot of recipes through the years, but there are times I feel as if I cook the same thing and from time to time and I end up in a cooking rut. We love our favorites and the kids are always calling and texting me asking for recipes, but sometimes I get a hankering for something different and DH is a good guinea pig. That makes it fun to try new things and mix those in with our favorites.

A while back, I had pinned a recipe for Ground Beef Stuffed Green Bell Peppers with Cheese and since I have an overabundance of ground beef, I thought I'd give it a whirl. When I started looking at the ingredients, I realized that I had a recipe for a similar filling called Texas Hash  (mine used Rotel instead of canned tomatoes) that we've used in tortillas for 20 years.

And then I thought I ought to change out the green peppers and add poblanos into the mix to add that New Mexico flair that we are crazy about. I don't have many addictions, but fresh New Mexico green chile is definitely one of them. These Poblanos are big...about 8" long. Poblanos are a mild chile.


So, I was off and running and before long we had a new favorite! YUM!


Stuffed Poblanos

6 large Poblano peppers
1# lean ground beef
1/2 diced onion
1 small chopped green pepper
black pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1 can Rotel
1/2 C rice
1/2 C water
1 tsp Worchestershire sauce (also known as rooster juice in this house)
1 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese

*Brown your ground beef and onion and green pepper. Drain if necessary. We have our ground beef processed pretty lean so there is seldom a need to drain. Season with pepper and chili powder. Add Rotel, rice, water, and Rooster juice. Cover and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Mix in cheese.

Boil the whole poblanos in water for about 5 minutes. Drain and slice open each poblano and stuff with filling. Cover and bake for 30-40 minutes. Sprinkle additional cheese on top and serve. I'll be making this again!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Today is hubbys birthday and Chili Rellenos is a favorite of his. I will be making something very similar to this using some cilantro rice I have made and jack cheese and shrimp and crab.
With boiling the poblano instead of roasting them do they hold up better? I have done the stuffed chilies without roasting just split them and taken out the innards , stuffed them and baked.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...