Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Digging in the Stash

While I'm cooking this week, I'm spending a lot more time inside until I've cleaned everything up after the noon meal and I make the feed run. That leaves me little pockets of time to sneak into my sewing room and see what kind of trouble I can get into. I'm attempting to use up some of the fabric I seem to have collected over the years. As quilters, it seems we're all trying to do that. You would think we would see a decrease in the stacks at some point! I had a yard of this fabric in my stash and I needed a quilt for a baby girl so I set about trying to come up with a way to use it: I started by cutting 6 1/2" squares from the fabric:


I pulled some coordinating fabrics and set to making pinwheels, hoping it would all come together:


And before long, a top was born:


This is one I took to Jackie on Saturday.While I was digging, I also ran across this leftover from a backing and used it for a border


The problem with digging is that one thing leads to another and I run across something else I had forgotten about and a new project is born. But then again, that's not really a problem. :) I made this quilt from a kit about 5 years ago for our niece's first baby


 and I had forgotten that it included this cute panel.


I loved this line and wanted to use every piece so I took the next step and cut up the squares:


I've still got some scraps from the original quilt and the backing, as I backed the quilt with something else:


I'm leaning towards making a square in a square with each little piece, hoping that'll keep the focus on the fun designs. Time to do a little more digging or I guess in this case, I'm 'fishing' for the right fabrics. *grin*

6 comments:

Staci said...

Pinwheels are always a fun choice for a baby quilt! Yours turned out really nice--lucky baby!
You'll have fun with that panel--it's super cute!

Tired Teacher said...

Pinwheels and focus fabric always make an adorable baby quilt. The panel squares will give you all kinds of possibilities for a quilt. Have fun!

Janet O. said...

That is a really fun baby quilt--so happy looking!
Your plans for the panel sound really good to me. The original fish quilt you made is so cute. : )

Shelly said...

What fun trouble you get yourself into!

Chantal said...

Hope you get a huge fish! :^D
Love the baby quilt with the pinwheel. It was a perfect call. Congrats! ;^)

Dar said...

You hit the jackpot in your stash. Both ideas and quilts are so cute. Good job using your stash so efficiently.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...