Saturday, April 22, 2017

Time to Sew

I actually found time to sew on Friday, but with the rain last week, the mustard weed was threatening to take over the yard so I pulled out the mower for the first time this year:


As much as I fuss about mowing, this old mower has been incredibly reliable. It's 10 years old and after sitting in the shed all winter, it started up with the very first pull of the rope. Mowing before sewing. *grin* Skeet has really been enjoying the spring weather too:


Since the rain put him out of his feeding gig, he's been finding alternative entertainment.

Once I tamed the yard, I worked on some sewing projects. I caught up with the Two-Step mystery Quilt clues from My Carolina Home. This is the March clue - still need to trim these:


And this is April's clue:


And I made 12 of these little flower blocks:


I just Googled 'free flower block' and picked one I liked. This one starts out with 4 - 3 1/2" squares and you snowball each corner with 1 1/2" squares. This was the inspiration fabric:


It's been in my stash forever and I haven't a clue what I had in mind when I bought it, but it needs to be used. Thus, I thought the flower blocks might fit and make a cute baby quilt:


Then I fell upon this little fat quarter pack in my stash that included this cute piece:


I didn't particularly care to work with the other fat quarters and I thought this little chunk needed to be a baby quilt. I'm not quite sure how to make a baby quilt using 1 fat quarter that I don't want to cut up, but I started pulling coordinating fabrics from my various bins and am thinking about building some borders, one of which will be patchwork.



It's been a while since I've had this much time in a day to sew. I felt pretty spoiled and a little guilty, but it was nice to have a little stitching time.

11 comments:

Janet O. said...

I am impressed with all you accomplished on your "guilty pleasure" day. The flower blocks with your inspiration fabric--too cute! And I am thinking your animal baby quilt is going to be adorable, too.
(And I have to add, that IS a reliable lawnmower!!)

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Was making progress on my much neglected yard when we got three inches of rain. I think I can hear the weeds growing. My husband says I should listen for the flowers blooming. Beautiful fabric and quilt--will get back to quilting when I finish stitching a sampler

Chantal said...

You worked so hard to get this sewing time, just enjoy it. No guilt, no shame. Love the flowers blocks and what you did with them. Cute! Enjoy the jungle one. ;^)

Tired Teacher said...

Wonderful progress on all of your projects. I haven't had time to work on the April clue for the Two Step Mystery.

Love the photo of Skeet: he looks thrilled to see someone who will throw the disc for him.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

You got a ton done!! Love the photos of Skeet - what a character!

Dar said...

What a cute idea for the flowers. So easy and it will be such a cute baby quilt. I like the idea of bordering the animal fq and adding some patchwork for borders too. Both will be quick and you will have 2 gifts in no time. You made great use of your "free sewing time" for sure. I'd like to know the brand of lawnmower that is that old and starts up on the first try after a winter off! That is incredible.

Dora, the Quilter said...

That's what I did yesterday, albeit with a weed eater. This is the earliest "harvest" since I moved here. Our early spring may lead to a few more than we usually have.
I wish I could come up with a good ground cover that I could sow for which the seeds are not outrageously expensive. I had a spreading patch of rosemary, but last year I had to hire someone to mow the lawn and he obliterated every plant that I'd have saved.

Judy said...

You get so much done! I bet you don't spend time on the computer!! Your blocks look wonderful! It's going to be a beautiful quilt!!

Shelly said...

Doesn't it feel good to get an entire day? Those so rarely happen around here, too. We seem to have a crisis du jour nearly every day! I love seeing your projects!

Staci said...

Great action shot of the dog with his frisbee! I love that he's airborne!
Your are off to a good start with the mystery quilt. Those are always fun.
The flower blocks are a great way to have your quilt and the fabric relate to each other, it's a great idea!

Theona said...

Looks like a lot of fun projects!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...