Monday, May 22, 2017

Back Home

I spent last week in the big city and survived the insanity:


I do not know how people deal with this every day. I'm not impatient so that's not the problem. It's just that there are SO MANY people! It makes me claustrophobic. I cannot breathe in town. But I hadn't been to see my mom in too long. We filed an extension for her taxes since I couldn't get down there until DH's back healed so that's what I tended to this trip. It was also her birthday so it was really good to get to spend it with her although I spent 90% of it working on those blasted corporate taxes. I told her we should go do something fun for her and she said that me doing her taxes was the best birthday gift ever. LOL.

My folks started their real estate business over 40 years ago and they built it from the ground up. They bought large pieces of property and subdivided it into smaller acreage. They carried all of the notes which means they did all of the financing for said notes and they had a couple hundred at the time. My mom and 2 or 3 salesmen showed the property on the weekends, and my folks did everything else themselves. This year marks the end of an era. All the properties have been sold and paid off. It's kind of bittersweet because although Daddy has been gone for almost 8 years, it's a business they built together. But this means this was the last year for corporate taxes. Yay!


My folks built a home 20 years ago in a subdivision and although, it's in a city, it's quiet and the homes back up against a ravine that is not cleared. Thus, they have regular visits from the wildlife that hang out there. A few years back, a couple of deer got caught in the neighbor's fencing that separates their front yard from their back yard. I just happened to walk out to my truck and the neighbor said that they were stuck in the fence. They had attempted to walk through and their front halves were on one side and their back halves were on the other. He had called animal control, but it was after hours and they would not come out. Poor deer were practically frantic, as was the neighbor. I circled around behind them, tried to pry the bars apart and then picked them up and  helped navigate them through the iron bars. They happily bounded away and when the neighbor looked at the bars they had been bent. He was astounded and asked me how I had bent iron. LOL. I told him it had to have been the good Lord because I had not eaten my Wheaties that day.

I was reminded of that incident because the neighborhood has a new resident as of 2 weeks ago:


Most of the neighbors have water elements in their yards and their yards are not fenced in the back so the deer are free to roam. This Mama and her baby were just hanging out every morning as we ate breakfast.


We have a lot of deer and antelope out here, but we seldom see the fawns and they certainly don't hang around our dining room window. The neighbors love seeing them, but it's kind of sad because they don't really have a very large natural area, they are surrounded by houses and the interstate is just a mile away. Still, the Mama looked like she was in good shape and her fawn was happy and gallivanting about:


It was a good week, but it's a long drive and I was glad when I finally turned down the dirt road. When I pulled up, this greeted me:


DH had built a fire and we dined on hotlinks as we visited and caught up with each other well past out usual bedtime. It was the perfect way to be welcomed home!

10 comments:

Sherrill said...

What a wonderful time you had with mom and so sweet to be welcomed home like that. Sweet.

allthingzsewn said...

Glad your home and your visit went well. It's good to hear DH's back has healed. Now back to the daily life, It is a blessing to live what you love.

Libby said...

What a sweet "welcome home"

Tired Teacher said...

City life and city driving make me claustrophobic, too. I simply do not like being surrounded by so many people.

I had to smile at the last photo and paragraph. It reminded me of my favorite movie, Out of Africa, when the head man would light a big fire to guide Elsa to the evening campsite.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Thank you for sharing! Yes, bittersweet for you and your Mom. We live near the airport and deer regularly visit the wooded area behind our house--there are deer signs everywhere. Your hubs is a keeper--what a thoughtful welcome home. Driving in the city--ugh--the traffic gets worse with each commute.

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

I figure you are happy to done with corporate taxes, but sad to end that phase of your life connecting you to the past. That doe and fawn look as healthy as the ones here in the woods. The doe here usually has twins and we love to see the spots disappear as the fawns mature.
What a great welcome home!!!! I can hear the fire crackle and smell the wood smoke!!

Janet O. said...

I really enjoyed reading this, Karin. The story of your parents and their business, the wildlife behind the homes, your hubbies welcome home for you. Love the glimpses into your life!

Pauline said...

What a nice visit. Too bad you live so far apart. You DH must be a very special person. Happy for you both.

Dar said...

So glad your taxes are behind you. I too hate that chore. Those are such beautiful photos of the momma and baby deer. So glad you had time with your mother. What birthday was it for her? She sounds like a strong woman to have done such a job for so long and without the help of her husband for so long.

Nancy said...

If I were your mom I think I would agree that having someone else do the taxes is a great birthday gift! You're a kind daughter. Do you hire out? (Just kidding, of course.)

Those are great photos of the deer and her fawn. They are such beautiful creatures. Good work freeing the two that were stuck. I have heard that deer are very skittish and nervous when people are around. I guess they didn't have much choice about having you close since they were trapped.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...