Thursday, June 22, 2017

Puddles!

We'd had a little bit of rain earlier this spring, but we were getting pretty dry. The excessive heat - 105+ day after day, coupled with the wind - didn't help matters either. I think they're forecasting another 110+ day today. Today, we're winding down. This is the last day we're working the Corrientes and I had planned to sneak out and take some pictures, but they're branding over at Devil's Tank and it takes 40 minutes to get there and longer today, because of this:


I think we had a less than 20% chance of rain and about 7, yesterday evening, the wind just hit...hard. The sky was brown with dirt until the rain started. For a while, it was raining sideways...fast and furious:



And puddles began to appear quickly:


We love a good, slow soaking rain, but we love a hard rain too because it runs water and that running water fills up our dirt tanks. DH was just finishing up outside and I had run in to take a shower so I was in my pj's. When your day starts at 2:30, and you're coming in at 7 and 8 in the evening, it doesn't take too many days like that to wear a body out. It wasn't so bad when we were 30 or 40, but boy howdy! - hit 50, and weeks like this are rough. DH had fixed a leak and worked on a well, after a full day of branding, and he came in just covered in mud and oil.


We were SO ready for bed - too tired to even eat any supper, but this was a fast moving storm and after about 40 minutes, it stopped raining and we both ran out to check the rain gauge:


DH was still dressed, but I ran out in my pj's. I was out there for about 45 minutes. Thank goodness there's not a neighbor within 7 miles of us. Since much of the storm was a horizontal rain, we may have gotten more, but I can tell you that this sure did pep us up! DH went in to shower and I ran around with the dogs who were sure enough enjoying the storm's aftermath:



I wish these next 2 picture weren't blurry. They would have been a great shots had they been clear, but I liked them anyway.Yes, he chases rabbits...on a daily basis.


We are absolutely overrun with rabbits and they eat a surprisingly large amount of grass. You might think a little rabbit can't eat THAT much grass, but they eat all day and when you multiply that rabbit by the thousands, they DO eat a lot. Skeet thinks this is his job and he's very serious about it.



And for those of you that are bound to ask, yes, he caught it, but I'll spare you those photos, as some of ya'll may not appreciate that part of rural reality. Skeet actually caught 2. He walked away from the first one when a second one ran past him and Harvey stole the one Skeet had abandoned. Harvey tries to keep up with Skeet, but what he lacks in speed, he makes up for in heart:


It's funny to watch them together - they are quite the pair:


I was absolutely give out before the rain, but the good Lord just poured His blessings down on us and revived us with His gift yesterday evening:


This morning I made breakfast burritos, put out grapes, and baked cinnamon rolls


and the morning banter around the breakfast table was lively and filled with good humor. Rain does that.


9 comments:

juliehallfeldhaus said...

Nothing like a good rain to make a rancher happy:) and his wife too!

Chantal said...

So happy to hear you've finally got your share of rain. We had more than our fair share so I hope more rain will come your way. Like dried grass, we perk up after the rain. ;^)

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

It has rained off and on all day--Hurricane Cindy. Skeet is my kind of dog! Yes, with those hot hot hot temps and parched earth I am sure the rain was a very welcome sight.

Anonymous said...

Yes, rain does a lot to lift the spirts. Our chickens killed two mice the other day--photos would have been too graphic for the internet and it really bothered our city-born-and-bread DIL. But I say "YAY for pest extermination" however it gets done.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Yay Skeet!!! and the rain - gosh it just clears everything up right? you just send it on to here and I will be happy!

Janet O. said...

What a joyful post! That was some rain!!
I love your "blurry" shots. They tell a story!
Hey, when neighbors are 7 miles away, you can wear anything you want in your yard. I have neighbors just a little bit away, on both sides, but sometimes I make a run to the mailbox in my jammies. : )

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

What a wonderful thing for you to have rain and hopefully cooler temps!! Gotta love those Jack Russells!! My Maddie Girl is trouble for the squirrel population here. She sometimes takes a flying leap and grabs them about 5' off the ground on a tree trunk and I'm sure they are shocked not to be safe that far up a tree. Actually, that is probably their last thought....EVER!!! I get so frustrated with them digging in my flowers and eating the little yellow pear tomatoes in the flower beds on trellises. I can almost smell your rain and hear it pounding the roof....OH, wait!! That's happening here!!!! When it passes soon, the humidity will make it feel like we are walking through a sauna. Have a restful weekend!!

Nancy said...

Glorious rain! Love it, love it, even when we get it more often and more regularly than you. You'd think we'd get tired of it but I love a good, grey, rainy day. (And I wouldn't mind eating one of your cinnamon rolls, they look so delicious.) And I've been meaning to ask: what are Corrientes?

Nancy said...

Love those photos of Skeet & Harvey!

Glad you got a significant rain.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...