Sunday, July 23, 2017

Hard Headed Heifer

And yes, that title could be applied to me although technically, I would be a cow. :)

This fella's hard headed, yet has a soft heart. He is incredibly kind to children and animals, yet does not have much patience for folks with no common sense or work ethic.


Lately it seems that much of society wants what they want when they want it and they have their minds made up without much regard for other folk. There was a time when folks actually used their minds, but these days it seems we're all becoming more like cattle.

A few weeks ago, we were out making the rounds, checking cattle and water when we came up short 1 hd in Mesquite. So we went back to the house, hooked up to the trailer, saddled and loaded a horse, and went in search of the missing heifer. DH looked for about an hour before spotting her.


She was sick and he called me to bring the rig his direction after he had her roped


Thankfully she was on her feet and he started to lead her towards the trailer


Then she decided that she didn't want any part in this adventure


She just planted her feet and refused to take another step


So DH had to drag her to the trailer where she finally decided that a trailer ride might be the best thing after all


I couldn't get any pictures of him loading her in the trailer because the first rule in the ranch wife handbook is 'don't get in the way'.

But we brought her to the pens where we could doctor her and keep a close eye on her as she recuperated. Silly thing pitched a fit when all we wanted to do was get her well and let her have all the sweet hay her little ol' heart desired.

We're kind of like that.

Yet they did not obey or incline their ear, but followed the counsels and the dictates of their evil hearts, and went backward and not forward.
Jer 7:24

The good Lord wants to help us, but more often than not we think we know better. So the next time He's trying to lead you, it might be in your best interest to follow. He's not going to rope you and drag you into the trailer, but some of us (me) are as hard headed  as that ol' heifer and that might be what it takes.

11 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a fitting story - I love it!

Tired Teacher said...

A great post with a wonderful message!

Bee said...

Lovely read. Thank you!

JanetD said...

What a great example, and so very very true.

allthingzsewn said...

You left me thoughtful and smiling.
Hugs and Blessings

Melody A. said...

SO TRUE!!! thank you for writing this. take care from Iowa

Sherrill said...

Yes, most of us think we know better too much of the time. Here's a great devotional https://www.facebook.com/notes/pink-gateway-women/make-your-mark-a-season-of-silence/1606438789374304/

Lisa said...

I think that is why one of my favorite Hymns is Come Thou Font
Oh to Grace how great a Debtor
daily I'm constrained to be
Let Thy goodness like a fetter
bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander Lord I feel it
Prone to leave the God I love.
Hears's my Heart Lord take and seal it
Seal it for Thy courts above!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Such a life lesson--that heifer reminds me of myself: wanting to have my own way, stubborn and not wanting to listen, resisting change even when it is for my own good. Farmers and Ranchers must have given a similar moral compass: I don't have much patience or tolerance for lazy people and those who feel entitled.

Sharon said...

Such great words for today! I have been struggling with something also and need to remember God only wants the best and I need to just be still!

Ranch wife said...

Wonderful word this morning!
Love ya
~M~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...