Monday, August 14, 2017

A No Sew Day

We received another inch of rain throughout the night on Friday, into Saturday morning, saturating the ground and making for a lovely day to sew. DH had a Safari Club fund raiser to work, in another town, so he left at 6. The rain quit at 6:30 and the pups and I headed out on our morning adventure. It was such a pretty morning. Doesn't look much like a desert these days:

                           

Ya'll are going to get tired of seeing puppies splashing through the marshy water,


 but right now, this is my life and I'm not complaining.

                               

 I just get so tickled watching these two


When we got back to the house, I tended to some cleaning, called my mom to visit, and cleared the rest of the day to sew. I had big plans. Then the electricity went out at 8:30. Hmmm. What's girl to do? Why, cut out new projects of course!


Ever since I saw Carole's, at From My Carolina Home, mystery quilt from a few years ago, earlier this year, I've been itching to make it using 30's in my stash so I pulled out my bin and started cutting:

                                               

Then, still no electricity so I began to pull out fabrics to make this quilt:

                               

In this book, which is my favorite ever:


Pulling fabrics from my stash is probably my favorite part of making a quilt. It takes me forever, and in the end, about all I accomplish is making a big mess, but it's just such fun.

                                

I still need to cut sub-cut these, but there's just so much cutting I can do in a day. I cut on the dining room table and my back doesn't like it after a while. I need to fix up a table that allows me to cut at a proper height.
                                 

The electricity came on at 6 p.m., just in time to shut things down for the day. The electric company mudded their way out and eventually found a pole down. So not a stitch was sewn, but new projects are ready and waiting in the wings.

                                                     

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

My cousins FIL built her some wooden extensions to put under the table legs so the height is right for cutting fabric.

Anonymous said...

I'm up early too but I have electricity. Sewing room clean all day Sat. and Sunday afternoon and I'm ready to sew. What a beautiful stash of fabrics...I thought I was over 1930s reproductions but guess not.

Dorian said...

Sorry for the power outage Karin, but it sounds like a good day anyways. I wish we got some of that rain ya'all have been getting. I love to chose fabrics for my quilts too. Glad you have projects cut and waiting.

Chantal said...

Not a chance I'll get tired of seeing pictures of dogs enjoying puddles. So bring them on. :^D
You did very well without electricity. I tend to worry about food in the freezer and the sump-pump and such that I usually can't accomplish much. You picked beautiful projects. Enjoy! ;^)

Anonymous said...

I, too, cut on the dining room table and just bought bed risers at Walmart to raise the height of the table. It works great and easy to remove and store.

Tired Teacher said...

My power was out yesterday (Sunday) for two hours. I managed to get some knitting done, but I missed having a cup of tea.

It's fantastic that you have fabric pulled and cut for your new projects.

Anonymous said...

Cheap plastic bed risers are my solution to a low table height.
Makes a great temporary fix for any table in the house.
Even used them on a chair when my back went out and needed the extra height to get in and out by myself.
Love reading your blog. Love your quilts.
Thanks for the wonderful glimpses into ranch life.
Jane

Margaret said...

I put bed risers underneath table legs, and that makes for a very nice sewing height. Love all your photos!

JanetD said...

I'm thinking the dogs are able to freely do what we'd kind of like to do, Stomping in summer puddles--such fun.
If your table doesn't weigh a ton (like mine) could you put bed risers under the legs for temporary use?

The Joyful Quilter said...

Looks like some fun new projects. Happy stitching!!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Love the dogs loving the water! Bet you feel good having quilt projects cut and ready to go. I'm always excited to see that you had rain!,

Janet O. said...

Won't get tired of seeing those happy dogs romping in the water!
Lucky that you have enough natural light to cut when the power is out. How fun to have a project cut and ready to run. Good use of your "unplugged" time.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Oh if everyone could find the joy in life Harvey and Skeet have found! Pulling fabrics from stash is one of my favorite parts of making a quilt--you made great use of the power outage.

Jen said...

I love Miss Rosies patterns! Think I have Jellystone started in a container somewhere.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...