Monday, September 11, 2017

Dirt, Demolition, and a Dozer

You would think that a wet summer and green grass would mean we get to sit back on our laurels and take it easy, but it really just means that we get to tackle other projects. Thus, the endless plumbing photos:


A good assistant is invaluable and our top dog is always on the job and he takes it very seriously


Improving the water system will make things easier in the long run, but it means lots of time on the tractor


DH had to cut some valve boxes and I took my turn behind the shovel:


Here's my pretty alcove to house the new valve box. We're both of the mind that doing a job, means doing a job well, and that even extends to digging.


At one point, DH had to connect the overflow


and he asked me to lift him in the backhoe bucket:


Ummm...no. That backhoe was already ancient when we moved here and I think DH is an absolute genius to keep the old thing running the way he does and I was way too scared that it would malfunction  and dump him when I raised the bucket with him in it so we set up the ladder and I made him climb it.


We are also tearing out the wore out scale:


This is where we weigh cattle:


Our north camp fella left to go back to Oklahoma about 2 weeks ago, but he was still here when we began demolition:


Making progress:


The surrounding fencing had to be cut out:



And the old floor was removed:


We needed a new scale badly,


but it was kind of sad to tear down a part of history:


This was a big job and DH does 90% of this kind of stuff without help, but last week we had a couple of fellas come in and start some dirt work, in preparation for concrete work. The new scale will be a pitless one so the pit needs to be filled.

Nope. No laurel sitting going on around here,


although I will admit to taking a nap (which makes me the dozer mentioned in  the title) -grin-  on Saturday after we came in from our latest playday in the dirt.

7 comments:

suz said...

wow! you have a very interesting life! I doubt I could even begin to keep up with you! Thank you for sharing all of this with us.

Shelly said...

You are so right -- it never ends. There is ALWAYS something that needs doing, and any type of break just means you can fit in something that you've been putting off! We've already started winter prep around here. I dread the thought of winter coming on.

Sherrill said...

It's non-stop over by you! So glad I don't live close enough to feel the need to come help! LOL I'd only get in the way anywho.

Nancy said...

What a lot of hard work you and your husband do -- and Skeet, too, of course. I think dozing on Sunday afternoon is a good thing!

Reading about your scale in this post reminded me of a book I read a few years ago called Farm Wife. It is a book of compiled entries from a farm wife's journals in the late 1800s. She wrote that they had recently purchased a new scale to weigh the cattle and it had its own building. She wrote that when friends had come to visit, they took a tour of the farm and ended at the highlight of the tour, the scale, where they all weighed themselves. The simple pleasures of life in the late 1800s.... Now I have a different image of what that scale my have looked like.

Dar said...

Life is never boring in your neck of the woods, that's for sure. Thanks for sharing it with us. It makes me want to come help you and enjoy that wore out feeling of a job well done. I always like to see the results of my efforts and especially when they last a very long time, which in this case with your work around your ranch. You two are special people and enjoy life to the fullest. I really admire you and your DH.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

A ranchers work is never done!

Dorian said...

Water tanks and pipes, always something going on with them! LOL, my youngest would be in heaven 'helping' you out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...