Saturday, September 9, 2017

Pick Up the Shovel and Dig Another Well

I hope that everyone enjoyed a safe and fun Labor Day weekend. I know that many folks are dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey and the ongoing fires in the Northwest. I can't imagine the work that lies ahead, but we're sending continued prayers and doing what we can from this end.

As for us, no cookouts, or gatherings, as most of the country kicked off the Labor Day weekend. We spent ours laboring. :)  Earlier this week we had 3 big storage tanks delivered and 5 troughs and although DH already installed the plumbing for those, we had other problem areas where leaks popped up. The tanks were actually on their way a few weeks ago, but we had to turn them back due to the rain. There was no way they would have been able to get down the roads. So the past few days, DH and I have been on plumbing duty. On Sunday, we listened to church services on the radio as we loaded the backhoe and trailered to Fence Tank to begin working on the first leak:


DH moved a lot of dirt


And once the ditch was dug up, he spent a lot of time behind the shovel.


I felt pretty useless as there was only enough room for one in that hole, but there is a favorite song of mine that kept running through my head as we worked on the leak on Sunday morning. I'll add a link here as well as the words below in case the link doesn't work


Dig Another Well

Well Ike had a blessin' from the Lord up above
He gave him a beautiful woman to love
A place to live and some land to farm
Two good legs... and two good arms

Now the devil came sneakin' around one night
Decided he'd do a little evil to Ike
Figured he would hit old Ike where it hurts
So he filled up all of Ike's wells with dirt

When Ike went out for his mornin' drink
He got a dipper full of dirt and his heart did sink
But he knew it was the devil so he said with a grin
Well, God blessed me once and He can do it again
He blessed me once and He can do it again

So when the rains don't fall and the crops all fail
And the cows ain't puttin any milk in the pail
Don't sit around waitin' for a check in the mail
Just pick up the shovel and dig another well
Pick up the shovel and dig another well

Now me and old Ike got a lot in common
The Lord blessed me with a beautiful woman
He gave me a job, he gave me a home
He gave me a well to call my own

Now when I go out for my mornin' drink
And get  dipper full of dirt, my heart does sink
But I think of old Ike and I have to grin
God blessed me once and He can do it again
He blessed me once and He can do it again

So when the rains don't fall and the crops all fail
And the cows ain't puttin any milk in the pail
Don't sit around waitin for a check in the mail
You gotta pick up the shovel and dig another well
Pick up the shovel and dig another well


Now the Good Book says Ike finally won
(pick up the shovel and dig another well)
The devil got tired and left them alone
(pick up the shovel and dig another well)
Well I know some day I'm a  gonna win too
(pick up the shovel and dig another well)
Cause the Good Book tells me what to do
(Pick up the shovel and dig another well)

Pick up the shovel and dig another well.


Thankfully, our pastures are currently green and the dirt tanks are full, and DH didn't actually have to dig a well, but the premise of the song was a good reminder for me to remember that God always provides and although troubles arise, we are abundantly blessed and I have no right to fuss about anything. It's not about our circumstances, but it's about how we react to them. I tend to do two things, pray and 'pick up the shovel and dig another well'.


I don't participate in FB, but I do post on Instagram to catch up with a couple of friends and I posted a few of these pictures with hastags #ranchlife #ranchlifereality #soyouwannabearancher #workingman #workethic #dinnertastesmightygoodwhenyoueatat3


And today we're back at it again:

7 comments:

Janet O. said...

You are hard working folks!
The song is a perfect fit. :)

Tired Teacher said...

On a ranch, every day is an adventure. I can't think of any other occupation that requires such a variety of skills.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that song-- it's inspiring!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Amen to the "dig another well". If we believe, the Lord provides. Sorry Gary is having to do shovel work. When Gene hires out for backhoe work, he tells them up front that he doesn't do shovel work as he knees won't get on and off the backhoe too many times. Hope all goes well with tank installation.

Sherrill said...

Makes me tired just looking at the pictures..HA! You guys really do work hard ALL the time!

Pauline said...

Whew! I'm panting just reading your page! Living in these rocks on top of a rocky hill made me forget what a dirt ditch actually looks like. When we added on to Ken's bachelor pad he used a "bull dog" thing to chisel one large rocky spot trying to make the addition level with the original house. We couldn't chisel down far enough and had to give up and make the addition two feet higher. Hope you guys find another hired hand willing to stay and work.

allthingzsewn said...

Praying for Gary's back to hold out, that digging is rough. Obviously God is with you two, I don't see any other way you two could take care of all that.
I have never heard of that song, how appropriate for your circumstances. Amazing what God will use at times to get you through and help other at the same time. Thanks for sharing, it lifted my spirit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...