Thursday, December 14, 2017

German Baby Quilt

It's been a long time since I had a finished quilt to share



One of my co-workers is celebrating the arrival of a new granddaughter and as I think all babies should be welcomed into the world with a quilt, I began to sift through my stash. Her son-in-law is stationed overseas, in Germany, and I thought it would be fun to take my inspiration from Germany. I was born in Germany and this fabric reminded me of traditional German design from my childhood.



I had an idea to recreate the flowers so I searched online for a free pieced flower block, selected coordinating fabrics and made 12 blooming blocks. I want to say that this was a fast quilt, and in actual piecing time, it was, but it took me a coon's age to select the fabrics for the flowers from my stash:


And I chose this red for the border:



Jackie quilted a sweet design called Billowy across it



And I bound it using the black and white dot that I used for the flower centers:


It finished at 50" x 50"  and will soon be snuggling with a sweet baby as they are coming home for Christmas!



12 comments:

Pauline said...

Absolutely charming! I've never seen these before, just darling! Will probably copy them for a future quilt I have in mind. Hope life has slowed down for you and you can get more quilting done!

M.E. Masterson said...

Oh I love it! turned out beautiful!

Dorian said...

What a sweet quilt Karin. It's so nice to have a finish, isn't it! Have a Merry Christmas.

Tired Teacher said...

Well done! The flowers and the striped fabric go well together. This quilt is going to be loved and will go on many adventures with the little one.

Shelly said...

It's adorable! Good job!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

That will be a cherished gift for sure. Love seeing what you are working on!

sandi s said...

Beautiful little quilt!

celia ambrose said...

Such a lovely quilt! I love all of the fabric and colors! They will love it too.

Janet O. said...

Turned out so sweet, Karin. Your flower blocks look really good with your inspiration fabric. :)
Didn't know you were born in Germany. Did you live there long?

juliehallfeldhaus said...

That's pretty darn cute! Lucky baby:)

Dar said...

How lovely this turned out all from one inspirational piece of fabric. It will make the baby and family very happy.

Nancy said...

What an adorable quilt, Karin. The backing fabric is perfect for the flowers, or perhaps I should say, you created beautiful flowers to go with the backing fabric. Definitely German. For me choosing fabrics (unless I'm using only two colors) nearly always takes longer than making blocks. Congrats on a great finish!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...