Thursday, August 20, 2026

Whoopie Pies

 I've never made these, but have wanted to for years and I figured it would be a fun thing to make when our granddaughter was here one day. She likes to help with everything I do and that makes everything fun. 

DH walked in as we were putting them together and asked Little E what they were. 

She piped up excitedly, "Whoopie Pies, Pap! Here! Have one!". 

These turned out great and only got better after I refrigerated them overnight, but the official taste testers couldn't wait that long

Lots of sugar. Very sweet. But a fun treat that I'm adding to my favorite recipe binder. Here's the recipe I used: Whoopie Pies. You can find more details there. The only change I made was to use regular brown sugar instead of dark brown sugar. And I'd like to find a more traditional filling that doesn't begin with the marshmallow cream. 

Whoopie Pies

1 2/3 C flour (212 g)

2/3 C (57 g) dutch processed cocoa

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp fine sea salt

1 stick (113 g) room temperature unsalted butter

1 C  (200 g) brown sugar 

1 large egg - room temperature

1 tsp vanilla

1 1/4 C (296 g) room temperature buttermilk

Filling:

297 g (a little less than a 13 oz container) marshmallow cream filling

15 Tbsp (212 g) unsalted, room temperature butter

1 C + 2 Tbsp (140 g) powdered sugar

1 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract

1/2 tsp fine sea salt

*Preheat oven to 375°. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl.

In 2nd bowl, beat butter and brown sugar for 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla. Beat for another 3 minutes.

Add 1/2 the flour and 1/2 the buttermilk to batter. Mix until well combined. Add remaining flour and buttermilk, mixing well.

Use a cookie scoop to drop onto cookie sheet, 2" apart. Bake for 11 minutes or until pies spring back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes on cookie sheet before removing to cooling rack to cool completely.

For filling: 

Beat marshmallow creme and butter until combined. Mix in powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt. Beat for 3 minutes until very smooth and soft. Using cookie scoop, sandwich filling between 2 cookies. Refrigerate.

6 comments:

  1. I’ve had a whoopie pie pan for years, but never actually made whoopie pies. I use the pan to bake eggs for ‘egg McMuffins’. I have a recipe for “Soft-baked Strawberry Shortcake Cookies” with a glaze on top, but no filling. I’ll have to dig that one out and try the whoopie pie pan. Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such wonderful memory-making moments capture on film here. I might be able to help here. I have an Amish Cooking cookbook (by Phyllis Pellman Good) which doesn't have marshmallow cream. The filling is : 2 egg whites, beaten
    4 Tbsp. milk
    2 tsp vanilla
    4 cups 10X sugar
    1 1/2 cups shortening
    Mix beaten egg whites, milk, vanilla and 2 cups of sugar. Then beat in the shortening and remaining sugar.
    It taste exactly like Joe-Louis (Vachon cakes in Canada).
    Enjoy!
    P.S. They also have an Oatmeal Whoopie Pies recipe. Let me know if you are interested in that one.
    ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't made whoopie pies in years. The cookie part is like my recipe but my filling is different, no marshmellow cream at all! The important thing is to not put too much inbetween the cookies or you'll have a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look delicious! Have E helping in the kitchen looks like so much fun. We had some friends over and my husband made your carrot cake for dessert. They raved about how delicious it was! That is the best carrot cake recipe ever! Mitchell’s Seafood Restaurant charges 17.00 for a slice of carrot cake! 😳

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoopie pies are a traditional thing claimed by both Maine and Pennsylvania - the home made ones I've had seem to have a filling more crisco-based than marshmallow cream. Good no matter how you fill it, but can't compete with Maine's apple cider donuts, in my opinion.

    ceci

    ReplyDelete
  6. my grandmother made them and also used buttermilk in her recipe which many don't...no doubt they were delish!

    ReplyDelete