Friday, July 9, 2010

Quilting Advice Please

A few months ago I enthusiastically joined in on this online hexagon quilt-a-long hosted by the talented jaybird quilts. I hunted for fabric. I bought the ruler. I stalked her blog waiting for posts. I stressed over block settings. And then I just took the plunge and started sewing.
Each week she posted instructions for a different orientation for the hexagons and I finally settled on one because I'm not quite ready to throw caution to the wind and I like some semblance of order. Making hexagons was as far as I was willing to venture out of my comfort zone at this point in my quilting journey. So I began to sew and piece these quirky little shapes and this is what I ended up with. I didn't love it. And so the strips sat on the wall...silently.

While piecing said hexagons, I found myself with extras. Not enough of any one to make a complete shape, but the scrappy quilter in me would not let them go so this morning I threw these on the wall and lo and behold, I think they started to sing.

.


So here's my dilemma. Do I find a couple of good movies and set to taking apart the organized blocks and then make my happy little scrappy hexagon quilt, or do I just finish the original one and hope it comes alive once its completed?

Which one gets your vote?

10 comments:

Deanna said...

I hate to say it because I'd hate to hear it: it's time for the seam ripper. Your spontaneous blocks are far more appealing to me.

Anonymous said...

I'd finish it. I like it the way it is!

NaomiG said...

Hmmm... I always dread situations like this... because I'm afraid I will regret my decision halfway through and then I've got it ripped apart, and I have to finish ripping. Here's what I would do. Finish the one that you have--it looks to be almost done. Gift it to an organized soul who will adore it for it's neat and orderlyness. Then, buy more fabric and make yourself the random scrappy one. There's my two cents. :-)

Shelly said...

I know it's more work -- but I vote for the scrappy one.

Jen said...

As ye shall sew...so shall ye rip.

Rip them. And try Date Movie, that was hilarious!

theona said...

Looking good!

Though I prefer the scrappy blocks I could never bring myself to undo so many completed blocks. So, my vote is finish the original and start a new one using the scrappy blocks.

Ranch wife said...

Yikes!!!!No ripping here! I like Naomi's advice, gift the organized one and make yourself a scrappy one.

~M~

Just the thought of all that ripping makes me ill. Yuck.

Also is some of them or on the bias if you rip them it may make them cattywhompous...just my two cents.

Stef said...

Take it apart while watching tv or sitting in a car. You'll be happy you did it.

Katie :o) said...

Hello! I found your blog through the Friday parade! Your quilt is beautiful! But even more fun was reading your posts! Great sense of humor and fun to hear a bit about everything!

Ranch Wife said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...