Tuesday, May 24, 2016

What I've Been Up To

 Last week I was away, spending time with my mom for her birthday. It rained a lot and even when it doesn't rain, the humidity is just so oppressive. It's hard to breath and even the smallest outdoor activity, like cleaning off the deck and re-potting plants, left me drenched and wrung out. I'm so glad that I was able to spend that time with my mom and help her tend to some chores, but I am definitely a low humidity kind of gal. Thankfully, 1" of this glorious rain ended up in the headquarters rain gauge at the ranch.


On Sunday, DH and I spent a little time at my favorite fishing spot


where we once again, caught dinner:



The baby chicks are growing fast and have been relocated from the brooder - really just an old water tank - to the coop. They have their own little patch of the coop where they are safe from the big girls who are not very hospitable when it comes to sharing their home with the new tenants.


 Hopefully, after a few weeks, they will have acclimated to each other and peace will reign in the coop. I'm bribing them! :)


We've had such a pretty spring, but it seems summer has made a rather bold entrance this week as today it's expected to reach 100.


 I'm thinking I should have planted more watermelon in the garden. When it gets this hot, watermelon is the only thing that sounds good.

Much of my mornings this time of the year are spent outside trying to get ahead of the heat. This morning I was walking at 5:30, soaking in the cool of the morning. And this afternoon, while the wind howled, DH and I spent 4 hours in the truck, hauling cattle to another sale barn:

                             

 In sewing  news, I'm working on the Safari quilt:


And stitching on a binding


This time of the year, it's a slow process as I do all of my binding in the evenings and by the time I sit down at night, I'm just plumb tuckered out and ready for bed. And yes, that's usually before 9:00. :)

7 comments:

allthingzsewn said...

My girls like watermelon too and the what left of corn on the cob after the picnic.
Really like the look of our safari quilt. I'm getting ready to start one using those fabrics for my oldest son. I would not have pictured him requesting those prints.
I can't believe you're hitting the 100 degrees already we are just getting to the 80's thank goodness. No wonder you're tucker out with all you do and the heat too.
Both of you be careful in that heat.

Denise :) said...

I know what you mean . . . I'll head back to bed to read at about 8:45 and Todd says it's rare he comes back and finds me awake! LOL! I just finished my lunch which included fish Todd and I had caught on Saturday (mostly Todd). Generally Todd batters and fries it, but I convinced him to let me flake it, season it and toss it with diced tomatoes and serve it over quinoa! It was very tasty! Do y'all do bass steaks? :)

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

I think your girls are lucky to have watermelon in the heat!!! Sounds good to me! Sewing time is slow here, too. Love your safari quilt! Keep cool walking and watch for snakes!

Pauline said...

Glad to see you having such fun. I'm really anxious to see the finished safari quilt. Great idea using animal prints. Fried fresh fish and home made hush puppies sound like a wonderful meal.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Looks like you are keeping busy! ( you know I wasn;t really worried about that though) Fishing looks like fun!

StitchinByTheLake said...

No sewing going on here lately. I finally got started on my spring cleaning - blinds, windows, pantry, closets, etc. Not much more to go though. :) blessings, marlene

Mary E. Stephens said...

It was nice to catch up with you a little. Lately I haven't been doing too well at keeping up with the blogs I follow.

My brother and sister-in-law love fishing and are trying to make a side business related to it so that they can spend more time doing what they love. :-)

We haven't been as warm this May as we are sometimes, and we've had LOTS of rain! So, it's been very humid, and I don't enjoy that either! We're thankful for rain, but sometimes it's just too much and we have to pray for less. So strange after the years of drought. All the lakes in our part of Texas are full now and some are overfull.

Your safari quilt looks like a fun one. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...