Friday, February 25, 2011

Blooming Pinwheel Quilt

Another finished quilt! Wahoo! Actually, it's not about finishing them, it's about the journey. I love thinking about the recipient as I'm piecing the blocks. The recipient of this quilt is still waiting to make her entry into the world, but I visited with her Mama the other day for a bit and they are over joyed. Its refreshing to hear someone who is actually enjoying every minute of this miraculous journey. She and her DH are so excited and eagerly gathering little, pink, girly things.

I haven't had much cause to quilt with girly fabrics so I went on a hunt for something special. I didn't have a clue as to what that was, but on a hunt I went. And I searched a long time for just the right fabric to jump out at me. When I found this "Quite Contrary" fabric, I knew I had to have it. Didn't have a clue as to what I wanted to do with it though so I bought some companion pieces that never found their way into the quilt. So the hunt continued and I finally rounded up a few that had potential. Still didn't know where this little quilt was headed. Somehow I decided to try a pinwheel after I saw this great tutorial here...and I was hooked. It measured 42x32. I wanted to make it a bit bigger, but the addition of another column offset the 4 pinwheels on each corner and it bugged me. So a smaller, more balanced quilt was born.

I'm making myself add a  label. I should have done that before it was quilted. Why is that so hard for me to do?

Karen, over at Sew Many Ways is having a Sew Darn Crafty Linking Party and I thought I would join in the fun. It's a fun way to discover new bloggy friends and ideas. Lots of amazingly talented people out there!

Now that the last stitch has been sewn, I am completely head over heels in love with it. I prayed for this child as I stitched. That she may have a life filled with love and laughter, good health and joy, and most importantly may the love and grace of Christ fill her heart and guide her days.

7 comments:

NaomiG said...

Oh! This post totally got to me, especially the first paragraph, and the last paragraph. :-) This is, in a post, why quilting is so incredibly lovely. How beautiful to have prayed for it's recipient as you made it... and she'll be "covered" in your prayers, and God's love every time it's used. :-)

Theona said...

Lovely! I really like the colors and the pattern. Another job well done (though I know it is truly a labor of love). :-)

agent713 said...

That's the best part of quilts. All the love and prayers that are sewed in to them!!! I admit, your lovely work is tempting me to look at quilting. I really, really can't though. So I'll just live vicariously :D

Oh, and when did you update your blog layout? I usually read your entries in my feed reader so I haven't seen the new digs. It looks great!!!

Karin said...

I love this quilt! It will be a treasure for this little precious baby girl. God bless her and her parents.

Kay Lynne said...

You did a wonderful job on the baby quilt! Quilting sure is a labor of love--so is farming/ranching :)

http://kayzquiltz.blogspot.com/

Dora, the Quilter said...

Fun quilt, Karin. (Once I'd made a couple of prayer quilts, all my quilts became prayer quilts!)

farm girl said...

Karin, this quilt is just beautiful. I wish I had half your talent.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...