Friday, July 28, 2017

Mornings With Skeet

Since we no longer have small children, nor have grandchildren yet, you get posts about Skeet.


This little dog has been such a wonderful addition to our family. Honestly, he's just the perfect dog for us.


And he's so vocal! Not as in barking vocal, he only barks when someone other than DH or I drive up, which is exactly what we want him to do, but he talks to us. Even our girl, said, "WHAT IS THAT?" Why, it's Skeet language of course.


He and I head out the door by 6 a.m. for our daily trot 6 days a week and he lets me know if we're running late. He really is an outside dog, but he eats inside and he gets to stay in for a little then and he about wiggles out of his skin when we let him in in the mornings.


A few weeks ago he met a badger and I wished like anything that I had my camera so I started carrying it.


Skeet lets me know when something interesting pops up:


The lighting is odd in this photo but the sun was just up and this deer had walked into a mesquite bush and I had just a nano second to take the shot because I didn't want to spook her. There was just a tiny spot where I could catch a shot of her:


And then, wouldn't you know, I didn't grab my camera yesterday and I could have really used it, but we had over 60% humidity and in this dry, arid country, that's rare. And even though ya'll may think I'm tough, I'm not. Just plant me in humidity and watch me wilt. So, I was already reluctant to head out and just didn't feel like hauling my big camera along so all I got was crummy, antique cell phone shots, but I'm glad I at least have these.

We have a lot of antelope here and they are fun to watch. 

                                   

Skeet is crazy about them and starts to shake when he sees them when we're making feed runs - which thankfully we were able to stop making May 1. Yesterday there were a couple on our route and Skeet sprinted after them


They made a big circle and when they came back around, the antelope was chasing Skeet.


This went on for at least 5 minutes. They were actually playing with each other and it was a hoot

.
This is dirt road entertainment at it's finest.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

This is the best post ! Skeet is sure a lot of companionship for you.

Tired Teacher said...

Oooh, I love that the antelope we're playing with Skeet!

Shelly said...

Priceless photos! What an amazing thing to catch on film! And I'm in love with that little dog!

allthingzsewn said...

The deer pic was beautiful. Mary beth our boxer (lost her 6mo.ago) had the same thing happen to her with a deer, she was not happy at all, never saw her move that fast. Give Skeet a pet for me, watch this heat girl.
Be safe and hugs

Anonymous said...

My father's mother would tell a story and then always add, "And people say nothing every happens in the country." Of course things happen. Really interesting things...you just have to know how to see and appreciate them. Thank you for sharing.

Sherrill said...

That Skeet is a little cutie! We used to see tons of pronghorns on our drives back and forth to CO and we started calling them white butts. "I see white butts" we'd call out when we spotted some. The last few trips haven't seen hardly any. I think humidity affects us all badly..ugh!

Dar said...

This was a great post. I love that Skeet can play with God's other wonderful animals. Those were priceless pictures even with a phone. Sure wish we had a dog like him. Did you pick him from a litter of pups? I can't remember how he came to be your family member.

Chiska said...

When I saw your title I laughed 'cause one of the nicknames my boy has is Skeet--it started out as Skeeter, but as he's gotten older shortened to Skeet. He's also usually the first one us so we get some morning one on one time. It's so fun to see your pictures. We have a lot of antelope where we live, but I've never seen them playing like that. It's always fun to see what you're up to.

Rebecca said...

Our dog Max is a talker also... All 80 pounds of him. I think its the hound in him.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Enjoy and treasure each and every minute with Skeet--our four legged children are a part of our family and have a place in our hearts.

Kevin the Quilter said...

Looks like a good ole' boy you have there! Where the deer and the antelope,....... and Skeet play!

Nancy said...

Dogs are almost like children/grandchildren, aren't they? So seeing photos of Skeet are great fun, especially knowing that he talks and that he and the antelope were playing chase. Too fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...