Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I Can't See Texas From Here

Feeling nostalgic today. Missing Texas. Can you miss a State? Yes, if it's Texas. I wasn't born a Texan, but I was born to BE a Texan. LOL. Maroon Aggie blood courses through my veins. Whoop!

Don't get me wrong. We have made a wonderful life here in New Mexico although truth be told, I'm hoping our state residency is only temporary. When we moved here, I desperately wanted to redraw the state lines.

Why the sudden homesickness? While browsing through my Google Reader today I stumbled upon this quilt:  Prarie Points of Interest . It's fabulous and the story behind it made me weepy for Texas. We never lived in the Texas Panhandle, but my childhood is firmly rooted in the hill country along the Blano River and our children were raised in the Davis Mountains where my heart still resides.

And it's spring. You haven't experienced spring until you've experienced it in Texas. My Mom called the other day and gushed about the Bluebonnets. And I cried.

Our daughter is headed off to college in the fall. In August she'll be "Gone to Texas" and I'm envious.

I've contemplated making a quilt to symbolize my love of Texas. I've seen a few, but none have spoken to me. A while back I bought a couple of Jelly Rolls of an older Moda line called Hill Country Spring, but I haven't had the heart to unroll it yet. I'm waiting for just the right project to come along and I'm thinking that my next Trip to Texas will require a trip to the quilt shop that still carries some of that yardage so I can snap it all up.

In the meantime, I'll leave you with a little bit of Texas gold (sniff, sniff):
I Can't See Texas From Here

9 comments:

Ranch wife said...

Wow, just make me cry. I am missing my home state as well. Bluebonnets! How I adore them. We may be making the trip this weekend to see Bucks dad. He turns 76 next week and we have not seen them in almost a year. Can't promise we will come back....:)

~M~

Anonymous said...

Wish we could get back to Texas too!

Karin said...

I´ve been a couple times in the states and some different states - but somehow I liked Texas and the people there the most. Somehow TX is different from the other states I´ve seen. I still have more changes to visit Texas becaus my godchild is texan and I have some friends, I went to school with, there. So I would say for an foreigner - I love Texas too

NaomiG said...

Hmm... I can't wait to see Texas someday! It sounds amazing!

Bobbie said...

Substitute Kansas for Texas and Iowa for New Mexico and you've written my blog for the day. :)

cottonpicker said...

You Texas women are whiney....here you are in the promised land and don't even realize it...shame on you....the grass is not greener on the other side of the state line....if you want greener grass....squat! ;)

Dirt Road Quilter said...

Oh ho ho! Well bless your heart! You're wanderin into dangerous territory woman! Promised land? PROMISED LAND? 60 mph winds and dirt sandblasting your skin every time you step outside? Honey, me thinks you need to take a trip to the true promised land! The only place I care to squat is in Texas thank you very much! LOL!

cottonpicker said...

Well my dear....in defense of the the 60 mph wind yesterday, half of New Mexico is now in Texas...so there! ;)

Dirt Road Quilter said...

See, even New Mexico wants to be Texan! Thought of you this morning because I have to admit, it was a perfectly fabulous morning...for New Mexico. Reminded me of a Texas morning! Love ya!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...