Saturday, July 14, 2018

Under the Needle - July

The day our girl came home, I had been texting with a friend and fellow ranch wife who has made quilts. She said she hates sewing - she just loves making quilts. I told her that no one had ever even suggest I sew anything but a quilt these days. Even mending requires an act of Congress and even then it's iffy.

Then our girl walks in and asks if I would mend some britches. I laughed and I sent my friend this photo along with this text:


So, I ate my words and cheerfully set about mending a couple pair of britches:


It was fun having company in the sewing room:


And look at Huck's reaction to the sound of the sewing machine:


When I would stop, he would look away and when I began stitching, we would get this face. We got so tickled.


And I don't have anything cuter to report than that, but I've been sewing more blocks for my Scrap Dance Waltz quilt:



I cut more fabrics for it and have spent some time making HSTs


I am of course making it bigger and I'll need 90 blocks if I do a 9 x 10 block setting. I've got 45 sewn so I ought to be ready to piece the top in another month or so. I've also been working on my EPP project. It's grown from this:



To this:



I am just smitten with those little stars.

I also made the binding - 11 strips - for the Sequoia Quilt I made for our girl and I started stitching it down yesterday. I rarely take time to do that during the day, but yesterday I did. Notting Hill was on so I spent an hour and a half binding:


It's 90 x 110 so it'll be a while. When I looked outside, I saw this:


Praise God! We're dry again so every drop is a blessing. We really need to grow some winter feed. Today is a no-sew day unless we get more rain...praying for rain. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with Huck on clothes repair

Nancy A: rangerer@sbcglobal.net said...

What size diamonds are you using?

Shelly said...

Really praying for rain here! That photo of Skeet supervising from the bed -- too funny! I love your little stars. I have some tiny ones started, but it'll be awhile before they're big enough to make anything.

Nancy said...

What we do for love! I know your girl was very grateful. Such a cute expression on the pup, and your blocks look great. I'm always impressed at how much you accomplish, Karin. I hope you get rain -- lots and lots of rain!

Tired Teacher said...

My Mom was constantly repairing jeans and coveralls for my brothers. I can do it, but it's not something I enjoy.

Oooh, Huck has such a sweet face! I love the photo of Skeet on the bed supervising - what a hoot.

Donna said...

Huck's expression about repairing clothes is priceless!!! I thought the ripped, torn jeans were the in thing right now??? People are paying big bucks for them!

ytsmom said...

Love that you are getting rain. We have been blessed in central Nebraska. It is hard to believe that it's mid-July when everything is still green.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...