Monday, December 13, 2021

The 2nd Week in December

 On Thursday I made a trip to Lubbock to finish up some Christmas shopping. 

I left the house at 6:00 a.m. and pulled back into the ranch at 8:30 p.m. It's a 2 hr 45  minute drive to Lubbock and I made 12 stops during the day. Our family is growing and I needed 3 new Christmas stockings. 2 bank stops to close out my mom's accounts. A few stops searching for something to wear to another funeral. Sigh. A stop to pick up a few groceries. And then various stops to knock out the rest of my list. To say I was pooped is an understatement. When I got home, DH was putting on the last of the venison on the dehydrator for jerky 


so I helped him scrub the kitchen. We love the jerky he makes every year, but it makes a huge mess. In past years he's gotten some big deer, but he really hunts for the meat. Then it was all I could do to take a shower and fall into bed. I am not a shopper. It just wears me out. 

On Saturday night we had a Christmas party to attend, but we were home by 9. There were about 40 people and they were in other rooms when I snapped this picture. I love their kitchen - I told our friend it was a great dancing kitchen - perfect spot to waltz around that big island.

I love Christmas, but it was rough last year and I think I'm trying to compensate this year. I missed decorating last year and it felt good to dig through all the boxes in the shed the day after Thanksgiving. I made the little gingerbread valance 30 years ago and it, along with the ristra of chili ornaments I made, has graced every kitchen window  at Christmas since then. 


I only decorate 1 tree, but I add the tall, thin lighted trees from Hobby Lobby to all the other rooms. 

I started some Christmas baking:


And I finished a few more Lined Drawstring bags:

Nothing feels rushed this year, but 4 days are already spoken for this week, 3 of them unexpectedly, so I needed to shuffle a few things around. Nothing a little prayer over a hot mug of tea won't fix.


6 comments:

Dorian said...

Good morning Karin, blah, that is a very long day, I would not of made it. Glad you got some shopping, baking and decorating done though. Have a lovely day.

Sherrill said...

Oh my gosh!! Just the nearly 3 hr drive ONE WAY would do me in. I'm like you..I REALLY dislike shopping. Those chilies have really stayed 'new' looking. Amazing. I know you guys'll have a great Christmas!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

you just wear me out!
Love your decorations and your drawstring bags!! How fun to have your family grow ;-) Hugs and Blessings to you!

Ruth said...

I feel for you, such a long shopping day. That muffin covered in sugar in the last picture looks delicious.

Shelly said...

Shopping wears me out, too. It makes me tired even thinking about it beforehand! I dread going into town, slogging through stores that invariably never have all the things on my list, and schlepping it all back home and dragging it into the house. Uff! And then getting home only to find out that I forgot something! I certainly would NOT have had the energy to scrub my kitchen after a day like that!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

My family knows I would rather grub out a fence row than shop! 2020 and most of 2021 have deprived us of human contact and interaction. Be sure to include some down time for yourself (sewing binding on quilt?) so you can recover from all the activity

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...