Monday, July 16, 2012

Crossing State Lines and My First QOV

Last week I was down in Texas spending some time with my Mom. I'm exhausted. Can't keep up with the lady! Her social calendar rival's the Queen's. However, we had a really good visit and I was able to catch up on all the business accounting in between brunches and lunches and meetings.

I did sneak off to Memories by the Yard in order to take my sewing machine in for a tune up. It has been stitching beautifully so I really hated to let anyone touch it, but it was past due for a cleaning. I warned the technician to 'be prepared', but he didn't charge me an arm and a leg so maybe it wasn't as bad as I feared.

On the way down, I barged in on Doniene and her husband and she fed me a delicious lunch. I think she tends to do that with strays. The food and the fellowship was greatly appreciated and I enjoyed my visit so much. I was tickled to meet her husband who may have uttered this sentence when I left, "Wow. It sure is quiet now." She almost had to scrape me off the porch. Their home is just gorgeous and they built it by themselves! Even though we met through the magic of blogging, we have some amazing real life connections that make you realize just how small of a world it really is. Their home is filled with love and charm and each time I turned a corner, there was something to delight in. I should have taken pictures, but that probably would have been strange and I didn't want to confirm their suspicions. I finally got a real life look at TWQ and it is stunning. In fact, I fell in love with several of her projects. Thank you both so much for a wonderful afternoon!

A few weeks ago, DH and I went to a Wounded Warrior 3 Gun Shoot that he participated in.
It was over 100° that day, but it was great fun and over $4000 was raised for the Wounded Warrior Project . I took my QOV so that I could work on the binding:


But I didn't get very far so I took it to Texas last week and worked on it in the evenings and now it is complete!


I'm so excited! And I'm working on getting it to it's rightful owner. They are having a Marine Family Day here in town at the end of the month and I've offered to volunteer. I'm working with the recruiter to present this quilt to a local Marine if that is who is supposed to have it:


I've been trying to make contact with a local QOV group, but it appears that there isn't one and I live too far out to lead one.

I cannot tell you how much love and how many prayers went into these seams and I pray that the recipient is blessed as he continues his journey:

Thank you to all of the men and women who have served and are currently serving in the military. Our prayers are with you:


8 comments:

Deanna said...

Beautiful quilt. Well done.

Kristie said...

Love that quilt! I'm sure someone will treasure it. Hubby was a Marine years ago and as you know these guys are so precious to us. Love and appreciate them all.

Sounds like you had a wonderful and busy time on your little trip! :)

Have a wonderful and Blessed day
Kristie

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

What a FUN trip!!!
That quilt is gorgeous...and made with such love~makes it even more special. Someone is going to be very BLESSED to have it!!

Darlene said...

Are you from San Antonio???? Maybe I should ask if you're a Texan? LOL

Sounds like you had a fabulous visit with your Mom. :-)

That quilt is going to make someone very happy. It's wonderful, Karin.

Doniene said...

Karin, talk about stunning - the QOV is stunning!!! It will be a blessing, just because you prayed over every stitch!!

WE LOVED your visit!! And I can't believe that we have met twice and have not taken a picture together!! Must be because we are so shy and don't have anything to talk about!!!! LOL!!!!! Your visit blessed us, and we look forward to the time when we can spend time together again! So glad your visit with our mom was good! I know she treasures that time!! But I also know, that you are glad to be home!!

Until next time!!

Blessings

Michigan Gal said...

That is a striking quilt. It turned out beautifully and I know someone will enjoy it.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I LOVE it!!! It turned out so great!! And yay - the one who recieves it will be just tickled!!!

But binding in 100deg weather is NOT my cup of tea LOL

Saska said...

love the rick-rac quilt...or zig-zag...it's just a statement!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...