Saturday, January 24, 2015

Birthday Snow!

Thank y'all for your well wishes for DH...he's on the mend and thus far, I have escaped catching it from him.
And thank you for the Birthday wishes - it snowed all day on Thursday - it was perfect.

I trudged out early that morning in hopes of catching the horses coming in, but I was out there for over an hour and the silly things decide they didn't want to come in. The snow swirled all around me as it fell and I finally made my way back into the house when I turned on my camera and the battery died. :(

The chickens must have had big plans. Even the 6 degree morning did not deter them from greeting me at the door:


 It is hard to get  a picture of them since they run after me where ever I go. I feel like a, well...mother hen. :)


DH and I went to feed early on Friday in order to beat the slushy roads that were certain to appear with the sun. I wanted to stop every time the sun glinted on the ice covered landscape and capture it with my camera, but time was of the essence and the cattle take precedence over an icy cactus. :)

They were grateful:


Much haste was made when they spied the feed truck:


Their breath was warm and frosty as they gathered around, in anticipation of their dose of cake.They are going to appreciate the warmth of the sun today too

Its a wonder I ever get anything accomplished in the house since I could spend all day outside capturing the things that catch my eye through the camera lens.


I just throw my little pocket camera in whenever I leave the house, but its not the best choice when snapping pictures in the sun - its hard to see anything on the LCD screen. I much prefer the viewfinder on my DSL, But this little camera is much easier to cart around and every once in a while I find it captures things that you just don't expect:


The snow is melting quickly, leaving behind a glorious day:


Its much too nice to spend it indoors so I'm hopping in with DH again and checking a few more pastures.

9 comments:

Vickie said...

Happy happy happy birthday Karin ! What a beautiful birthday present you got ! God's snow sculptures !

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Gorgeous pictures! My chickens won't walk in the snow, big babies. The final picture with the sunshine is great.

Nancy said...

Your photos of the cattle brought back some wonderful memories of feeding on a winter day. Thanks!

Glad your birthday was good and that your husband is on the mend.

Anonymous said...

Dang that was cold!Happy Birthday! I love your hens!

Denise :) said...

♪♫ Happy birthday ♪ to YOU! ♫♪
♫♪ Happy ♪ birthday to YOU! ♪♫
♪♫ Happy birthday dear ♪ Karin!!!! ♫♪
♫♪ Happy ♪ birthday ♪ to ♪ YOU!!! ♪♫
♪♫ And many more . . . !!!!! ♫♪ :)

Sounds like you enjoyed a great day -- stay healthy!! :)

Dorian said...

Happy belated birthday Karin! Sounds like you had a nice day.

Ranchmom said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Your pictures were beautiful. I can only imagine how peaceful it would be to walk out of the house to freshly fallen snow. I'm afraid my hens would not be as active if they had to deal with that cold of weather:)

Staci said...

Yay for Birthday Snow! Lovely photos!

Judy said...

Happy Belated Birthday. Some of my mail went to spam. Had to get you out of there. I love your pictures. And I wouldn't want to be inside either. I'm going to Texas next Wed. Wish I could stay a month but I'm getting some new chicks on Friday!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...