Saturday, November 22, 2008

Layered Mocha Cheesecake


DD likes to bake. That does not bode well for me since I worked really hard to lose 30 pounds this summer. Alas, DH and the kids love their sweets. I'm generally able to abstain from joining them, but yesterday she decided to try a new recipe that I had marked in a magazine. She did a great job. She wanted me to note that she should have split the layers more evenly, but I certainly didn't hear anyone complaining!
Katie bar the door - this stuff is sinful! Thank goodness all you need is a teenie tiny sliver to satisfy. Rich and decadent does not begin to describe it! In fact, I am not a fan of Mocha (Love the aroma of coffee, but can't stand to drink the stuff!), but this stuff is wonderful! So if you like Mocha at all, this is your dessert!

Layered Mocha Cheesecake

Crust:
1 1/2 C Oreo cookie crumbs
1/4 C butter, melted

Filling:
2 Tbsp plus 1-1/2 tsp instant coffee granules
1 Tbsp boiling water
1/4 tsp cinnamon
4 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese softened (yes, 4!)
1-1/2 C sugar
1/4 C flour
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 C semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
Chocolate covered coffee beans, optional

Glaze:
1/2 C semisweet chocolate chips
3 Tbsp butter

*Combine cookie crumbs and butter. Press into bottom of a greased 9-in springform pan. In a small bowl, combine the coffee granules, water, and cinnamon, set aside.

*In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and flour until smooth. Add eggs. Beat on low speed until just combined. Stir in vanilla. Divide batter in half. Stir melted chocolate into one half; pour over crust. Stir coffee mixture into the remaining batter; spoon over cheesecake layer.

*Place pan on a double thickness of heavy duty foil (about 16" square). Securely wrap foil around pan.Place in a large baking pan, add 1" of hot water into larger pan.

*Bake at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes until center is just set and top appears dull. Remove springform pan from water bath. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen, cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight.

*In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and butter, stir until smooth. Spread over cheesecake. Remove sides of pan. Garnish with chocolate covered coffee beans if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.

The only problem I found was that the top chocolate layer was firmly set and it made it difficult to cut a pretty slice. Next time I plan to omit the top layer and just sprinkle it with lots of chocolate curls and you can bet there will BE a next time!


7 comments:

Paula said...

YUM! The bad thing about cheesecake is that I CAN eat the entire pan!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW! That sounds delicious, and I bet if I made it, there would be NO opportunity to 'refrigerate the leftovers'!! Thanks for the recipe - I LOVE Chocolate cheesecakes :)

Nadya 's World!!! said...

WOW! That sounds heavenly YUMMMYYYYY!!!! I can't make it though because I'm not even going to be able to wait for it to come out of the oval... I'll eat it all during the mixing part... LOL:)

Nadya :)

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm . . . I can just about taste it! When can I come over? I'll bring my own coffee! Congrats to DD on a job well done.

Pat - Arkansas said...

Oh, yummy! Looks delicious!

Paula said...

You must have had WAY too much of that Layered Mocha Cheesecake - We haven't heard from you in days! Now, don't take that wrong, I'm not naggin' - just lonesome for one of my favorites!! Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful!

Ranch Wife said...

Okay Broken Y - point taken! New post is on its way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...