Sunday, August 15, 2010

2 Times in 23 Years with some Quilting Thrown in for Good Measure

I'm a bit bleary eyed this morning. Well, a lot bleary eyed. I stayed up until 4 this morning...willingly.

Many moons ago, I used to be a night owl. Being married to an early bird rancher for over 23 years has cured me of that! However, last night I did something I haven't done in 23 years with the exception of 1 other time since we were married. It's nothing earth shattering. I didn't skydive. Or swim the English Channel. Or sail down the Nile. I stayed alone. LOL.

5 years ago I traveled for a funeral and stayed in a hotel alone, but other than that, I have ALWAYS had someone in the house. Every single night.

I know, not a big deal, but it's a strange sensation and the house suddenly gets really enormous when you're in it alone. My family isn't loud, but it sure did get quiet last night! I think I could hear the roping steers snoring out in the lot.

DD and DH were spending the weekend in the mountains, scouting in the area DH drew for his elk hunt this fall. They spent 2 days riding horses through the wilderness and hiking up peaks. I sent a camera along, but we'll see if they come back with any photos.

DS was packing to head back to college and mucking out his room that morphed into a dorm room while he was here this summer. My children (both of them) are pack rats. It's not genetic... or maybe I'm just in denial. So he pulled out on Saturday, loaded with everything a college boy will ever need. Hopefully that includes the brain cells to bring back the good grades that he is more than capable of producing! I didn't find any lingering in his room, so he should have them with him.

As for me, I dried my tears and headed for the quilt shop about 75 miles away. It really is the best therapy and after a couple of hours, I emerged with a couple of fat sacks, and a skinny wallet.

I like to have a plan when I go to the quilt store because if I don't, I end up with all kinds of purchases that add up to a whole lot of "Ooohh...I need that, but I have no idea what I'm going to do with it", not to mention a whole lot of money.

That's not to say that I won't peek into a fabric shop just to see what there is to see (my truck is programmed to automatically stop at each and every one. Heck, I didn't even know it came with that option! Nice perk!), or wander off and let fabrics just jump onto the cutting table, but a plan is always preferred.

So yesterday my plan was to find a couple of backings for both the hexagon quilt top and the 30's top, along with some fabrics for a baby quilt, and some background fabric for another quilt.

Quilters are so friendly, but I'm sure if you're a quilter, you already know that. The ladies that own this particular quilt shop are no exception. DH says that they're just friendly because they see dollar signs when I walk through the door, but what does he know?

They always ooh and awe over my quilts and are very helpful in helping me make my selections. I wonder if that's a prerequisite for working in a quilt store, even if it's an ugly quilt. Honestly, though, I don't know if there is such a thing as an ugly quilt ( well, with the exception of my hexagon quilt before I ripped it apart - ugh! That was a sad, sad, little quilt!). So anyway, a trip to the quilt shop is good for my ego. My bank account, not so much.

So I found a backing for the hexagon quilt and it's 108" so no piecing required! Nothing jumped out at me for the 30's quilt so it remains backless, but I found wonderful pinks and brown cowgirl prints for the baby quilt. I went in there thinking greens and pinks and purples, but quickly fell in love with this new selection. It was one of the reasons I was up all night because I cut and pieced most of it as soon as I got home. I dug through my stash in search of horsey colors, but still need to pick up some odds and ends for the applique part.

At the last minute, 2 jelly rolls of a Hill Country Wildflower line from a few years ago begged and pleaded to come home with me and who was I to deny them. I miss the Texas Hill Country and I've often fawned over these fabrics and they are fast becoming extinct. I have no idea what they will grow up to be, but I'll just enjoy their little jelly roll-ness (yes, that is now a word) for a while before I chop them up. Oh, sorry, that sounds violent.

How about... before they are re-configured into a warm, snuggly, comforting design of quilty goodness. Much better... or perhaps my lack of sleep is becoming apparent.

I know. I know. You're wondering where the pictures are, but I sent the camera with DH so you're out of luck today.

I found what I needed for the new quilt I want to make and cut all of that out as well. I already had the layer cake for it so I only needed something for the background and once I made the first block, I HAD to make more. Thus, my all night sewing marathon.

I have to laugh though. I was kind of wandering how I would handle an empty house and God must have thought I wasn't ready because he sent over the sweet, young Mom from North Camp and her 3 little (2-yr old twins and a 4-yr old), darling kids not long after DS pulled out of the drive. We had a really nice visit and some adventures with cat food. They are the neatest family.

This morning I remembered why the night owl life doesn't suit me anymore. I am dragging. I feel a nap coming on... after I sew some more.

So even though I was able to wallow in fabric and thread and all things quilty this weekend, I miss my family and 2 times in 23 years is enough for me. I'll save the trip down the Nile for another time.


Staci said...

Oh, I got such a kick out your son's bedroom becoming a dorm room! I know just what you mean! My son goes back to school on Thursday, and he has a TON col cleaning to do before leaves!

BK said...

Well that explains why I haven't heard from C in a while :) Have her shoot me an email when she gets time... Like next year maybe :)

Karin said...

Staci - good luck with mucking out that room! DS cleaned his before he left, but then I had to get in there and clean it again after he pulled out. Its amazing what they manage to pile up!

BK - yes, she's been away all summer, but hopefully she'll have a day to catch her breath and catch up with you before classes start.

NaomiG said...

Oh, I love this. Sounds like perfection. I'm glad you didnt find any brain cells in that vacated room, that would have been concerning. And, sometimes I've gone into quilt shops and not spent any money, and they've still been nice to me. Probably because I look like a very poor, harried mother who's dreaming over fabrics, haha!

Paula said...

I used to be a night owl too so now when I do pull an all-nighter, I almost need an all-day nap. Can't wait ot see the quilts!

elaine said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I did cry a little last night when we talked about it with my family just after I had seen it.
I have the same problem as you in a quilt store. I need to have a plan when I go, or I buy and the fabric does sit quite a while - maybe years.

Bobbie said...

Karin, Karin, KARIN! HOW can you post about NEW FABRIC and not include PICTURES????? You're such a tease! I wonder if the pink and brown fabrics are the same I picked up earlier this summer? I went back for more and they were out. Can't wait to start back in my studio again this winter.

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

WOW!!! A Sew-a-thon! LOL
Sounds like a blast...I am NOT a night owl either...except when I scrapbook :)

Hope all is well with you and yours. Take care! Can't wait to see pics of your new projects.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...