Monday, March 10, 2014

Waffle of Insane Greatness

Confession. Back in my newlywed days, I served hubby Eggo Waffles. I am nothing if not honest. But then I ventured out into a box of Bisquick. Yes, he still loves me. Next, I found a homemade version of a dry mix  that I could make up ahead of time and keep in a Tupperware container. With a growing family, we went through it fast. I've flipped lots of pancakes and whipped out a lot of waffles in my time.

Now  that we are empty nesters, the demand has decreased greatly and with our new eating habits, I don't think we've eaten a pancake or waffle in a couple of years, with the exception of when I make them for the crew.

I cook breakfast every morning...mostly for hubby, because I'm not a big fan of eggs for breakfast unless they're mixed up with good stuff and in the form of a breakfast burrito. :) But a few weeks ago, when I asked him what sounded good for breakfast, he said, waffles? That DID sound good. However, I did not want to make up a huge batch and I was feeling adventurous. This empty nest thing is all about trying new things so I turned to trusty Google. Google is a gamble. Well, this time we hit the jackpot.

In all honesty, the name of these waffles was what made me want to try them. I mean, how can you fail with Waffle of Insane Greatness? That is an awesome name! And we think these are awesome waffles!



My waffle iron makes regular waffles. We're just not fans of the Belgian waffles. The waffle-syrup ratio is  off for us :) These take a little longer than your average mix and pour waffle recipe and if you're looking for healthy, this is not your recipe. but then again, waffles don't generally wind up in that category  anyway.  But if you want to start out your Sunday  morning on a good note, these are the way to go. Just pencil in a good long hike later in the day.

Waffle of Insane Greatness

3/4 C flour
1/4 C cornstarch
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 C buttermilk
1/3 C vegetable oil
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp vanilla

*In a medium bowl, combine the flour, corn starch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix well.

* Add the buttermilk, vegetable oil, egg, sugar, and vanilla and mix well.

* Let the batter sit for 30 minutes.

Preheat your waffle iron. I used the highest setting on mine for a crispy waffle. No soggy waffles allowed. The recipe which I found here, says not to spray your waffle iron since there is plenty of oil in the batter, but I did spray it the first time. We do not care for overly sweet waffles since syrup is sweet enough. I have a homemade syrup recipe too, but there's a buttermilk syrup I'm going to try next.


7 comments:

Nancy said...

Waffles are my favorite, too, but I never make them for myself anymore. Honestly, I think my waffle iron is living in someone else's kitchen.

Denise :) said...

Oh!! I will definitely share this recipe with both the girls -- they each have waffle makers and love to use them!! :)

laverne said...

Yummy!I bet your hubby still loves you,he is very blessed to have you!Lots of gals would NOT be happy out in the country living a simple life.It sounds pretty dang good to me!

Dar said...

Yummy. I love waffles but my DH doesn't like them at all. I will have to try these sometime after he's left the house. I never have buttermilk in the house, but otherwise, everything in it is easy.
Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Pauline said...

I do have one of those Swedish waffle irons, in fact that's all I have. It's been years since we've used it, Ken prefers pancakes, I wonder how this recipe would work for that? Couldn't be too bad could it?

Dorian said...

MMM, I've been wanting waffles lately, haven't had any in quite awhile. And did you know, that if you use whole wheat and butter instead of oil, then put some fresh fruit on top, these are really quite good for you ;) Enjoy!

Scrapatches said...

Mmmmmmm ... waffles ... hubby and I do not really eat a big breakfast anymore, but we do occasionally enjoy our own version of breakfast served anytime. We make from scratch buttermilk waffles, like our Belgian Wafflemaker and we will only let real maple syrup touch our waffles. I have never put cornstarch in my waffle batter. May have to experiment with that. Maybe we will have waffles for dinner tonight ... mmmmmm ...:) Pat

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...