Sunday, March 8, 2015

A Mountain of Fabric

So the Tuesday before last, as I was driving to my Mom's, I was looking forward to popping into a little shop that carries quilting  fabric. I was in need of some yardage for backings. The 9 hour trip makes for a long day in the pickup and the 15 minute stop gives me a chance to stretch my legs. Through the years, I have found treasures in this little shop every single time.

Her prices are unheard of these days and although she does carry some newer lines and pieces that are in the $10 range, most of her fabrics are in the $4-$6 range and they are quilt store quality fabrics, with the majority being Moda fabrics. They didn't ever have a lot of bright, modern fabrics, but when I'm in the market for more muted tones, this shop has always been a sure bet.

This time when I popped in and mentioned I was going to the back, they said that they no longer cut yardage from the bolts. Everything was 75% off, but you had to take the entire bolt...because they were selling out. The store is not closing, but they will no longer carry the cotton fabrics. WHAT? Repeat that please. No - wait a minute. On second thought - don't. It was hard enough to hear it the first time.

I was instantly overwhelmed. First order of business was to look for the backing for the Christmas quilt. I needed 9 yards. Bingo. How about the blocks I had just finished that would soon be a top and would need a backing. Check. My next QOV backing. Pulled that. I walked out with 8 partial bolts. And then thought about what else I had left behind for the next 8 days. Its not often you find quilt shop fabrics for $2.11 per yard.

So, yes, I stopped back in on the return trip and 8 more bolts found their way into the truck. And lest you think I am keeping it all and thus, wondering what on earth I am going to do with 156 yards, I am sending some on to a friend who makes QOV and sharing some with a friend who is my longarmer.

So that is how I ended up with 18 partial bolts of fabric


that ended up averaging out at $2.33 per yard.



The tan with little blue and cream paisley on the top of the photo below is earmarked for a quilt backing and the green plaid below it will be the backing for my Christmas quilt.




These three below are going into baby quilts. I have the entire line of that Meadow Friends line and the 2 bottom fabrics are coordinates:


The top one here will be for a QOV:


DH laughed out loud when he opened the truck door to help me unload and said, "I take it you found a sale?" Sure did!

15 comments:

Dorian said...

Oh lucky you Karin!! I never seem to find deals like that, how awesome. I'm sorry though, that your great little store is not going to carry cotton anymore :( What a shame! Great haul though :)

KaHolly said...

What a steal!, I'd have purchased as much!

Chiska said...

Fun to be able to stock up!

Judy said...

Well congratulations! Well done for sure and such a great investment. I like your husbands attitude and only wish I had been with you. Wish I could find something like that!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

SCORE!!!! I want to go shopping with YOU!!

Nancy said...

You have got to be the best bargain hunter I know. Well done!

Pauline said...

Fantastic! Go buy a large tarp and go back and get more! Load up the truck bed and cover it carefully, then come by here and we'll have a ball! Those kind of bargains don't happen often. Enjoy and share your sewing with us!

Kristie said...

Oh gosh! That is like a dream! I have to ask.....if they are not going to carry cotton what are they planning on carrying? LOL! Doesn't everyone quilt? LOL!
-Kristie

Ranch Mom said...

Wow! That was an awesome sale! I would have had a hard time containing my excitement. I am looking forward to seeing all of the beautiful projects you will be making with all of that fabric.

Lana said...

IF this store was in Fredricksburg...I sure hope it wasn't my favorite...the one on main street that is tucked into what looks like a five and dime next door....
I will CRY.

juliehallfeldhaus said...

That is a died and went to heaven moment if I ever heard one!!!

Dar said...

You were at the right place at the right time, for sure. What a nice surprise. I would have gone wild with those prices and came home with bolts and bolts for backings for our QOV group too. We make round 350 quilts each year and are always looking for good prices on fabrics suitable for backings. Have fun using up those bolts.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

You sure had good timing didn't you!! Great job - you will enjoy having those fabrics!!

Anonymous said...

How exciting! Good job

Anonymous said...

So loved reading about your life, and quilting. So love your tartan quilt. I made one last year which was a success, loved by my son and future daughter in law. Now trying to make another for another son and his future wife . Your tartan quilt such an inspiration.
Also loved hearing about being a ranch wife. Just allusions , here and there!
Thank you so much.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...