Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Splorin' With My Sweetheart

The chiddlers used to call it that when they were young. They would often meet in secret and whisper their plans of epic adventure before approaching me with wide, shining eyes, "We're goin' splorin' Mama!"

They spent their childhood splorin' . There's lots of adventure to be discovered on a big ranch. They never wandered too far - once in a blue moon they would cross a fence line, but a 3000 acre pasture was big enough to hold a childhood worth of  daring exploration. They would always return dirty, but happy, brimming with stories and starrrrvinggg!

I guess they come by it naturally. Their Daddy and I like splorin' too.

Saturday was a splorin' day.

We left out early and drove about 2 hours south to a little place in the Guadalupe Mountains called Sitting Bull Falls.

About an hour into our trip. I told DH, "Remember when we were first married and didn't have 2 cents to our name and we would set out on little day trips and explore the area?"

DH said, "You mean like today?" LOL. Yes, like today, honey.

Here's a picture from one of those trips. I remember telling DH that this would make the perfect first home for us:


That was 28 years ago. We would take one or two days a month and do just that. We didn't have any money and we would pack a sandwich picnic lunch, jump in the pickup and take the road less traveled. We would find a spot and hike along rivers and creeks and mountains. We always took along the denim quilt his mom had made us for a picnic blanket as well as the library books we were currently reading.

When we arrived, the Falls were closed, but after reading the fine print on the posted notice, we concluded that we weren't breaking any laws. So we left the pickup in a parking lot and hiked the .6 miles to the picnic area, wound our way through that and hiked another 1/2 mile to the falls.

We're in a drought. In a desert.

                                                   

So all you really get is a bit more than a trickle, but it was such a pretty place to spend the day.


Its part of the Lincoln National Forest so there are miles and miles of trails to hike I marked our trail in black.


The recreation area and trails were built by the CCC:


I am married to a mountain goat.


This man claims to be out of shape and I just laugh. I walk 5 miles just about every single day, but we live in flat desert country and hiking in the mountains makes me feel like a wimp. Still, I was  a happy wimp. DH kept having to stop and wait for me because I was camera happy


I could not stop taking pictures


You can't take a wannabe photographer to a place like this and expect her NOT to take pictures!


We hiked up and over the falls

                                       
down creeks


                                        

 into green valleys

                                            

past interesting  walls of rock

                            
across streams


and found ourselves at this cave


Sure wanted to go spelunking!


DH found me an anniversary walking stick as we hiked

                                      

Pretty much made for the best day together! It was past dark when we arrived home to chores by flashlight. First order of business was to order a couple of books of detailed maps. We've got more 'splorin to do!

16 comments:

KaHolly said...

Oooh, I like 'sploring in places like that! Glad you were able to get out and enjoy your day together. Great photos highlighting your trip. I enjoyed joining you from my couch, but it would have been more fun to be there in person! xo

Tired Teacher said...

What a great adventure - such a pretty area. I love seeing the CCC trails around the country. There are many in southern Wyoming, but not many in my area - trails yes, but not CCC trails.

Terry said...

Beautiful country, and such a great way to spend a day. Gettin back to nature is always a wonderful thing

Dorian said...

Looks like you had a fantastic day Karin. Happy anniversary. When we were first married, we did the same thing. Always were out adventuring and exploring. Even after the babies started arriving. But sadly, I can't go hiking anymore :( I sure do have fond memories though. What great pictures you have shared with us! Thank you.

Libby said...

How Fun !
Glad you took time for pictures !

Sure to miss my DH !!

Judy said...

As I read and looked at your great photos I was thinking it reminded me of Psalm 23, The Lord Is My Shepherd. Walking through those areas looked like so much fun. I am so glad for those pictures. My hubby can walk like yours also but I more limited. Now you need to take that pretty picture with those wild flowers and out it to solid colors of fabric! Thank you.

juliehallfeldhaus said...

Looks like something I would like to
do. Not my hubby tho, he's not a hiker:) Maybe I could borrow???
Love your pics:)

Doniene said...

WONDERFUL!!! So lovely and your photos were great!!

Blessings and hugs!

Sue said...

How lovely. I think we forget the simple things in life can be so enjoyable.

Pauline said...

Fantastic adventure! Such a wonderful place to live. Be happy you are both physically able to have such an adventure together and thankful that you have such compatibility! I love the scenery and all your pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Staci said...

Wow! What a beautiful day--I love that kind of day!

Mary E. Stephens said...

It's so funny that you posted this the day after I put up the challenge to explore this month! Great minds indeed. :-)

Looks like a great 'splore. The cave is so mysterious looking. :-) Did you notice the "horses" in the first three waterfall pictures? My husband knows if I bring my camera, he's going to be waiting around for me. ;-)

Cathy said...

That's my kind of day! I love to go find a state park and hike. Spending the day with nature is perfect in every way!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love your 'splorin !!!! What beautiful country!!! ( i use the camera as an excuse to catch my breath too - its all good!)

julieQ said...

Lovely!! Is that the New Mexico Lincoln forest?? Pretty area!!

Dar said...

What a fun day. I love to 'splore too, but unfortunately my DH doesn't. How is it that opposites attract?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...