Sunday, May 24, 2015

In the Branding Pen

I promise this'll be the last branding post. Not forever. Just for now. :) Some years I don't have the opportunity to hang over the fence and when I do, well, I guess I get a little carried away.

Now we're finally ready to head into the branding pen where the propane tank and branding box is set up, the water cooler is set out, and the syringes are loaded:


And our resident jolly rancher hands out...what else...but Jolly Ranchers


Ropes are coiled


Calves are caught

Drug to the fire, easy

                            

Flanked into position 


Branded
                                                       
                                                 

 earmarked, cut if they are bull calves, and vaccinated




Repeat:


Give your Mama that look that says, "You can stop taking pictures now"


But Mama doesn't listen well


She's trying to capture the essence of the day


And stop time


It doesn't work, but that doesn't stop her from trying because there are new generations to teach


And I'm not the only Mama that likes to keep a watchful eye on what goes on around here



10 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

Wonderful photos!

I remember when my niece was about eight and sitting on the fence watching the branding process for the first time. She saw it all even though her fingers were laced across her eyes.

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Smell the essence of cow, scared calf and burning hair?? It's all there!! Now, did you fix lunch for the the crew? All that work made me crave a tall glass of iced tea!!

Judy said...

I have never seen this before! What is used to cut the teaticles? Is there a vet there? Is that why you vaccinate them? What is your brand? Are the people there branding just yours or theirs too? Do you have to fix food for all those helping there? It's nice Cowboys don't smoke! Thank you for the pictures and information! Is that you in the blue shirt and cowboy hat standing next to your hubby? Have a wonderful Memorial Day and please tell your son Thank You!!

Dar said...

That looks like hard work and would really work up an appetite! That last picture of mamma cow is beautiful, but I wouldn't want to get on her bad side. LOL

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your day with me. I have never been near a cow. lol You seem to love this life. Thanks again. barb

Anonymous said...

We separate our cows and calves in small bunches and use a chute. My best friend growing up did it the same way as you. The nice part about the chute is you can do it with very few people in a pinch or if you have a few stragglers.

Pauline said...

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing. Wish I could be right in the middle of it.

Judy D in WA said...

I love how you have made a journal of this part of the ranch work. I have never worked on a ranch but I have worked on a farm and understand all the hard work that is involved in raising cattle. Thanks for sharing.
Love the Momma cow picture!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Post more!!! I love watching other people work lol - plus you have a pretty place out there!!!

Staci said...

What great photos! I loved reading this post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...