The oldest UFO on my list is finally finished. I bought this fabric years before I started quilting. I had notions of making valances and a skirt at one time, but year after year the fabric sat on a shelf. Still, every time I ran across it, I found that I still liked it and once I was bitten by the quilt making bug, I was determined to turn it into a quilt. See, 1998 - it's definitely spent enough time hiding in a dark cabinet:
Piecing this so that the horses didn't have 6 hooves or tails growing out of their noses was probably the biggest hurdle I faced, but once I dove in, it didn't turn out half bad:
And for some reason, I was drawn to using some sort of a Seminole design with this fabric so I put pencil to paper and figured out what I needed:
At one point, I had started this design and then run out of fabric, and set it aside for a few more years. Once I set my mind to finishing it, I dug back into my stash and chose fabrics of which I had enough yardage.
Jackie quilted an all over design with a denim blue thread:
I pieced the back with some leftover fabrics and bound it with a denim blue:
It measures 85 x 106 and it took me almost a month to bind:
It has now been washed and dried and folded at the foot of the bed for those chilly nights when it is gratefully reached for and snuggled under before dozing back to sleep:
It's just a simple row quilt, but I like the end result and the fact that these horses have been set free from that dark cabinet after all these years just tickles me to pieces.