Tuesday, January 23, 2018

What I've Been Up To

I know it's been a few weeks since I've posted and all is well, I've just been busy living life and soaking up January. Here in New Mexico it gets cold, but we still have endless sunny days with the bluest skies so January is not a dreary month in the desert. It's crisp and bright and cold:

                             

Who says that taking a dip in the dirt tank when it is 25 degrees outside in January isn't the best idea ever? Not Skeet!


Our girl brought a family of 6 cats, which included 4 kittens, home with her after Christmas and they have taken up residence in the barn:


Someone asked about my chickens and guineas when the weather dips into the single and negative digit range around here. They are a hardy bunch because they do just fine. They don't have heat in their coop, but they just sleep in there, as they are free to roam wherever they desire during the day, and they walk back into the chicken yard at the end of the day. They run to the coop when they need to lay an egg. They are pretty low maintenance. They DO get kitchen scraps and always have fresh water and they seem like happy chickens:



Feeding cattle is a given in January:

                             

And I've spent some time in the kitchen, cooking for a crew:


Our girl has been in and out...2 days home, 2 days in Indiana...3 days home...2 days in Oklahoma...2 days home...4 days away working on her thesis...and the cycle continues. Lots of coming and going. We are home base and the next 4 weeks promises more of the same. 2 interviews. 2 job offers. It's nice to have options and know that your hard work is coming to fruition. She has accepted a job and she is over the moon about it. We all are. She said it is her dream job that she never knew existed. She will be working for a prestigious non-profit company that delivers solutions to agricultural challenges through leadership, education, research, and consultation as a livestock consultant. Pretty darn proud of this kid and the adventures and opportunities that lie ahead for her:


And in between daily life, I've been sneaking in a little sewing...working on Bonnie Hunter's Mystery:


So, life is good and I've penciled in a nap, a walk with the hound puppies, and a bit of stitching on this Tuesday afternoon.

13 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

Congratulations to your daughter on landing her dream job. I hope her career is a very successful one. I'm assuming Harvey is visiting, too. I'm surprised Skeet didn't convince him to take a dip in the dirt tank.

Chantal said...

Congratulations to your daughter. "Go for your dream job and you'll never work a day of your life." (Can't remember you said that but it's true.) I haven't done much on Bonnie's mystery either. Then again, it's not a race. Enjoy! ;^)

ytsmom said...

Love that little orange kitty! That blue sky is beautiful. We just got 10" of snow, but the sun was shining today!

Sherrill said...

Will she be close to home? That would be totally awesome. Sounds like you have a couple of FANTASTIC kids and know you are so proud. Skeet is one tough pup and the kittens look so cute. Glad you're finding little bits of time to do your own thing!

Nancy said...

I think there are three gorgeous photographs in this post, Karin: the crystal tree against the blue sky; the tiny golden kitten; and -- best -- your daughter! That's wonderful that she found her dream job. Congratulations to her! (And to you and your husband for raising such a fine young woman.)

Dorian said...

Hi Karin! I was just thinking about you yesterday, and wondering what you were up to :) I love the picture of your dd and horse! Glad life is going well and you are getting a bit of sewing in. Take care.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Skeet is goofy!! Just sayin' Everything is so beautiful around there right now - and glad your girl is doing so well!!! Good luck to her!!

Shelly said...

I'm so happy for your daughter! She'll do great things! I hope you got that nap in.

Judy said...

I am very happy for your Daughter and wish her Gods blessings in her new job. God is so good to us. The times are changing and I pray she stays close to Jesus. Happy you are well. We are also.

allthingzsewn said...

Skeet sure turned into a muscular handsome fella. I think he's darin ya to get in. Your daughter has done you and Gary proud.
New Mexico? All this time I though you lived in Texas. I haven't clue where I got that. I think it was those stinckin snakes and scorpions.

Janet O. said...

Your photos are always such a feast for the eyes, but right now I am hungry, so I have to ask about the food photo. Is that a black bean chili or soup? Do you have a recipe to share? :)

Dar said...

Glad you are well and busy enjoying life. Your opening photo is beautiful. So happy to hear your girl got her dream job. Hope it is close to home. Such a cute kitten that has taken residence in your barn. They are so much fun to watch when they are kittens. I can't believe your pup would go in water that cold. Maybe the air was colder than water temp. Hope so.

Mary Ann said...

Congratulations to your daughter on her accomplishments. I love the tree with looks like hoar frost on it. Our trees get that way sometimes during the winter here in North Dakota. Feels like I am in a snow globe when that happens.

Enjoy reading your posts....survivor972002@midco.net

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...