Saturday, November 7, 2020

Kitchen Chatter

 So, I've been back in the kitchen again this week. We're weaning the Corrientes. The weather's been amazing...30's and 40's in the mornings and 70's and 80's in the afternoons. I've been cooking with the windows flung open (Yes, even in the morning because my little kitchen gets HOT) and sneaking out of the kitchen whenever I am able. 

I placed a pick-up order from Walmart for Monday after work - that made it so convenient for me. With the time change - breakfasts are earlier - 4:30 I know it's just a number on the clock, but it does mess with my head when I have to get up at 3. I honestly just wish they'd just do away with it. We'd all adjust, but then we would only have to acclimate once instead of messing with everyone twice a year. 

I mowed Tuesday afternoon because I knew I'd only be more tired as the week wore on. I'm hoping this'll be the last mowing session of the year(next chore is weed trimming and pulling)  but I pulled the string out of the mower so I'd better tend to that before I put it up for the winter and before the kitties confiscate said string:


I have a lot of time to think when I spend my days in the kitchen. Turns out kneading bread dough is very soothing. I make bread for the crew pretty much every day and the simple ingredients, combined with the feel of  the dough under my hands, always brings me peace and heaven knows we're all in need of that these days!


We're working through the book of Daniel in church. The series is: Daniel: Living Right Side Up in an Upside Down World. Timely. And yes, he did mention the election. I'm not going to preach about politics here although I certainly hope you voted! The election. Covid. 2020 in general. A good reminder that I need to be sure my life is built on Christ, not the things of this world. And God is working...in all things. The things of this world are temporary. His kingdom is eternal. 


So, in my temporary world I am turning to basic kitchen ingredients that simplify, hopefully bring a little happiness to the table and a little sweetness to the day

And then I'm headed out the door to soak in the magic air of these Autumn days and reminisce of the days when there was actual grass in the pastures:


The view's still pretty great though 😉

9 comments:

Dorian said...

Good morning Karin, what are you cooking this morning? That looks like an interesting dessert, what is it? You have a great day.

Panto Pam said...

It's the simple things that make us happy! Would you mind sharing your bread recipe?

Sherrill said...

I wish I had your ability to be at peace. God and I are not on the same page or even in the same room for these past many years since DH's death. I'm really nervous about what's to come in the days/years ahead. We'll see....

Tired Teacher 2 said...

I don’t understand the logic behind DST! Wyoming voted to trash it, but need four other states in the region to accept it, too. Sigh, I don’t see that happening any time soon. The Bible study sounds timely and interesting. I hope you’re able to sleep in a bit this coming week.

Donna said...

I haven’t made bread in years but always loved the kneading. I did vote and I totally agree with you on getting rid of the time change! Wish we could vote on that!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Lucky cowboys to have you cook for them!! A cook AND a philosopher!! Your Bible study sounds interesting. God is with us through this pandemic. Hope your days are peaceful, some sewing thrown in there and you all stay well!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

For many reasons 2020 has been the worst year of my life. I pray for peace and am grateful for my faith.

Chris Miller said...

Such a wonderful post! I, too, love making bread. Made pizza for supper tonight and even just that little bit of pizza dough was wonderful under my hands. I did a Daniel study last fall and it was so good. And we think we live in strange times! So good to be able to leave it all in God's hands!

Lee Young said...

I make a fresh loaf of sourdough about every 3 days (only 3 of us here). It uses the lift & fold method rather than needing - much more to my personal liking. Aliens and Sojourners...definitely in a temporary, topsy/turvy world these days. Some days are tougher than others. I've been working through Genesis and am where Joseph's brothers come to Egypt for the second time with Benjamin, still not knowing the man they're dealing with is Joseph.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...