Monday, November 2, 2020

New Project

 I finished piecing my Autumn Jellystone last week and yes, it still needs a good pressing:

and I immediately had a hankering to start something new. These Hill Country Spring jelly rolls are the first jelly rolls I ever bought....many moons ago

This was a 2008 collection and I was just beginning to quilt so I'm thinking I bought these sometime in 2009. After 10+ years, this seems like a good time to turn them into a quilt. Moda comes out with a similar collection each year, but I think this was the first one. I grew up in the Texas Hill Country and it will always hold a special place in my heart so it stands to reason that I ought to have a Texas Hill Country quilt in my repertoire. 

I have hemmed and hawed over what pattern to use all this time, and these jelly rolls have been moved from shelf to bin many times, but Wednesday afternoon I just sat down and started stitching the strips into 16 patches:

For some reason, the St. Louis 16-patch quilts that took the quilting community by storm 8 or 9 years ago have caught my eye recently so that's what I settled on:

I wanted something unfussy, fast and simple with a classic style and I think this fits the bill. I pulled in some solids from my small stash:

Because once I set some blocks together, I felt like they were a little muddy as a whole. 

I don't use solids much, but I thought these might brighten things up a little.

Hmmm, maybe these are too bright. I worked on them again on Thursday and Friday. They are fast and by the end of the day, I had 46 blocks, but then I spied some Grunge sitting under a pile and I knew I'd switch out the solids. From a distance, there isn't much difference, but I'm planning to keep this quilt and I know I'll be happier with the Grunge blocks:


I wanted a bigger quilt than this was going to make so I cracked open a 2nd jelly roll and the stitching will continue.

I'm at the sale barn today and then I'll be cooking for a crew again Tuesday through Saturday so sewing will be put on the back burner for a bit, but I figure these jelly rolls have already been marinating for over a decade so what's another week. At least they finally have a plan.

7 comments:

Donna said...

I have a few jelly rolls I need to use up too. I think my new favorite is the layer cake. Glad you found a bit of time to sew.

Anonymous said...

The solids make the pretty stand out.

Janna and Mike said...

I much prefer the Grunge. Love those flowery prints!

Sherrill said...

I think grunge is pretty great anywhere! HA I see another beauty in process. Yet another busy busy for you this week..yikes!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The floral fabric is beautiful and looks great with both the solids and the grunge. No matter which you end up using, it will be a beautiful and cheerful quilt.

The Joyful Quilter said...

A plan and a start? Excellent!! I'm with you on the Grunge being the path to a pleasing quilt. Happy sewing (once you get back to it!)

Janet O. said...

Love the warm, fall colors of the Autumn Jellystone quilt.
And 16-patch quilts have always appealed to me. Yours is very cheerful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...