Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Back in Texas

 Thought I'd pop in and give ya'll an update. I am touched by your kind emails and comments and notes and prayers - thank you. I was of course talking to my mom on a daily basis, but on the 2nd, one of her friends- neighbors called and said her oxygen levels had dropped and she was running a fever. At the time, I was standing in line outside the grocery store, waiting to get in because our governor had closed 2 of our grocery stores and had decreased the capacity of the store to just 50 people at a time. That translates to 1-2 hours waiting time in 38° and wind just to get in. So anyway, I hung up with the neighbor and called mom's doctor. I had to leave a message, but she did return my call and gave instructions to have mom taken to the hospital emergency room via EMS. Called the neighbor and she called 911. I was on the phone with either the doctor or neighbor or DH while I picked up groceries, knowing I'd probably be away for some time and DH would go hungry before standing in line that long just to get into the grocery store. He told me to just leave it and come on home, but I knew mom was being taken care of and I had already rented a car. 

So, I've been in Texas since the 3rd. Mom had a collapsed lung and they put in a chest tube. She was in the hospital for 6 days and I was there from 8-8 every day until they swept me out the door each night. It's about a 30 minute drive from the hospital to her home if traffic is cooperative and once I got home, I took a long, hot shower, tended to things like bills and mail, savored a mug of hot tea, returned phonecalls, and hit the sack. One day I decompressed by grabbing the blue box of Kraft macaroni and cheese from a shelf at the grocery store and eating some of it directly from the pot while watching part of the Grinch that Stole Christmas on TV.

But yes, I am eating good things too. Mom's friend who has cut her hair for 40 years brought a delicious pasta salad that was so good that I could probably live on it and I did for 3 days. I added some leftover rotisserie chicken for protein.

Before I left home, I was getting ready to drop off my sewing machine for it's annual cleaning so I brought it with me as there is a shop just around the corner from mom's and I had it serviced there. I brought a simple jellyroll project along because I didn't know how long mom would be in the hospital and I set up in a corner in one of the extra bedrooms:

                                 

I've not spent much time here since she came home, but sometimes I sneak in here if I can't sleep in the middle of the night and add a few stitches with the baby monitor next to me:

                       

So, Mom's home now. There's nothing else they can do for her at the hospital so I set up Hospice for her here at home. She and Daddy have a huge bedroom and I was able to push and shove her bed over enough, with the help of a neighbor, that we could easily fit a hospital bed in with room to spare. She loved watching the birds and squirrels scamper around when she would eat at the dining room table so another friend/neighbor/angel/prayer warrior couple (yes, they wear many hats)

 bought a bird feeder and a suet wreath

and we set it up on her deck 

so that she could watch the activity from her bed. 



Her backyard is a busy place


And a quiet place


You would never know a busy interstate is only  1/2 mile away. 

So, we're just spending time together. Her mind is still mostly sharp and she's been a taskmaster when she is awake - keeping me busy, but I'm glad I can be of some help to her. As I've said before, her tribe is large, and her friends have been more like family. I am fielding visits, phone calls, texts and correspondence simultaneously and they are taking care of me as well. I find little care packages at the door with the sweetest notes:



The little bottle of cognac made me chuckle - I had mentioned that I'm not  drinker, but a little splash of whiskey in my hot tea at night has been relaxing. And this little bowl has made multiple trips back and forth from a special couple who are near and dear to my heart:

And I have been touched by sweet words and little surprises from a treasured friend at home - 

I've lost track of the days and time, but know, without a doubt, that God is with us every step of the way. I am spending many of the predawn hours in prayer with good things to read here:

Our girl and her fella came down this weekend and spent a few hours on and off with mom. She's sleeping an awful lot, but I was so blessed by their visit. Our sweet girl brought me a basket full of blessings:

As well as jars of our favorite Christmas Whiskey Praline Pecans for the neighbors and a bag of them for her Daddy: 

DH is planning on coming down for a day or two, and he'd be here in a heartbeat if I asked him to, but honestly, there is nothing he can do. And it is not easy to get away from the ranch when 800 hd of cattle are depending on you to keep them fed and keep water running. As much as we love our lifestyle and what we do, it truly is a 24/7 operation. 

We are hoping our boy can be here in a week or so for a day as well. Mom is getting weaker, and I am feeling very unqualified for this job, but I am learning as I go and doing what I can with the help of hospice, friends/neighbors, and Jesus. Mom wanted to be at home and I am doing what I can to make that happen.

I probably won't be back at the computer until after Christmas, but please know that I am wishing all of you a magical Christmas filled with the joy and wonder of Christ's birth - 


For there is born to you this day, in the City of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord
Luke 2:11

27 comments:

Tired Teacher 2 said...

This journey is a bittersweet one. I am glad you and your Mom are surrounded by loving friends and family and that God is by your side. Prayers and hugs!

Nursejoan said...

Blessings sent to you from AZ. Your Mom has to be a special lady to have raised such a special daughter. Prayers for her to have a peaceful passing to Heaven. Hugs to you & family.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh my - sending you great big hugs! And big Prayers for Mom

Anonymous said...

Prayers for a peaceful transition for your Mom and prayers for that which you need to sustain you and comfort you. It is so wonderful to be surrounded by such caring people, speaks volumes about your Mother. Blessings to you and your family and your angels on earth.

Dotti in CT

Libby said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Hugs....

Anonymous said...

God bless you all. Merry Christmas.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sorry to hear that you Mom's health is in decline. It's a particularly hard time of year for that. I'm glad to hear that you have so many watching out for you as you spend time with your mom! I'm familiar with how much that can mean to a caretaker. Wishing you a peaceful Christmas...

Janna and Mike said...

You are amazing and every night I include you and your family in our prayers. I too am married to an only child and when his father was dying two years ago, we were the caregivers. I know how much you have on your plate--take care of yourself too.

Ruth said...

At least you are there with your Mom!! So much better than worrying about her from a distance. Hope all her paperwork is in order for the next "move" and that everything gets said between all of you that needs to be said. Best Wishes, and take care.

Sherrill said...

What an awesome group of friends, family and neighbors are enveloping you and your mom in their arms!!! I know what you're going through with the hospice as I was the caregiver for my DH 8 yrs. ago when he came home on hospice. A very difficult but loving thing to do to allow them to be in their own home. So glad the kids have and hopefully will get to spend some time with you and your mom. She's so blessed with such a wonderful daughter. Thoughts and prayers for all of you.

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

So sorry your mom is having to deal this health issue. Praying for your family.

Mary Jo said...

Prayers for you and your Mom. She is so lucky to have such a special daughter to be there with her during her last times. God Bless you both.

Ranch Mom said...

You and your family are in my prayers,

Dorian said...

Good morning Karin, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. She is so blessed with your loving care and those of friends and neighbors. You are both in my prayers. Have a blessed Christmas.

Fae said...

Sending prayers for Gods abundant blessings to continue to surround you and your Mom.... My Mom died when I was very young so I have not had the privilege of caring for her in old age... so I rejoice with knowing you and others are loving their Moms... Jesus is our strength.

momto1 said...

thoughts, prayers, wishes for comfort for your mother, and for you and your family. Sharing your circumstances helps us all, if only to put our own situations in perspective. so glad you have the support group there. You and your mother are so lucky.

Janet O. said...

I am with you in thoughts and prayers, Karin. Hope you can feel the Spirit guide you through this time of uncertainty, and bless you with peace and comfort. We do all we can and leave the rest to a higher power.
Kind of in a similar state here--Mom was going to be with us for 3 days for Christmas, but took a turn for the worse on Monday. So now I go sit by her bed a few hours each day to relieve my brother of the constant watch-care. Dad passed on Dec. 29 four years ago and his decline started a few days before Christmas. We are thinking Mom may be on a similar track, but only Heaven knows for sure.
God bless you and your dear mom!

Donna said...

Thoughts, prayers and hugs! My MIL passed away last month. My hubby is an only child too and no other close relatives so I understand a lot that you are going through. Take care. You are such a wonderful daughter.

Shelly said...

I am sure praying for you, Karin. Wishing peace for your mother, and blessings on all of you and your entire family.

Lindah said...

Thank you for sharing the update, Karin. Prayers for you and the family and Mom. May she rest peacefully in His arms as the Lord carries her gently home.

Violet said...

Oh Karin you have so many friends here who can sympathize with this journey you are on...I know you are strong in faith and I will be trusting God with you to see you and your mom through. There will be some difficult days ahead-there's no way around it. I pray God surrounds you and your mom with His peace that passes all understanding. His love and grace and mercy will guide you both. Sometimes we don't know what or how to pray and all we can say is...God help me. You and your mom will be close in thought tomorrow and in the days ahead. Matthew 12:28-30

Shelljo said...

Relish the good moments, allow yourself to time to cry when you need to. Wishing you the strength you need during these days. Peace to you and your Mom.

Nancy said...

I'm so sorry to hear that your mom's not doing well, Karin. We know (generally) what to expect when our parents grown older but that doesn't make it any easier. You're such a blessing to her. As I read this post most of what came to mind was the abundance of blessings -- yours and your daughter's for your mom, your mom's friends for her and you. The blessing I hope most for you is the comfort of the Holy Ghost during this difficult time. Wishing you a continued abundance of blessings. Sending prayers heavenward for you and your mom.

Kathy C said...

Sending HUGS your way. Peace be with you.

Mary Stephens said...

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this with your mom, but thankful to see that God is giving you help and comfort along this difficult section of road. We went through it in January-March as my mother went to be with the Lord on March 5th. We had to have her in a memory care facility because she wasn't safe to be at home and in-home care was not enough to lift the burden from my dad. Thankfully, they allowed us to be with her in ICU still then, so we were with her in the night leading up to her passing. We'd gone home for some sleep around 4:30 a.m. and she went before we got back. A sweet friend went in the morning and read scripture to her and she went Home a little while later. We were so thankful the Lord allowed us to get through that before the lockdown started as my mom only had months to live as it was. We were able to have a sweet memorial time as well. The lockdown started a little over a week later. God has been good, but I know it still hurts, and will hurt later on as you go through different seasons of remembering. 2 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee... May God's grace be sufficient for every need that arises and His wonderful comfort keep your mind and heart at peace.

Vickie said...

My prayers are with you during this tuff time.

Judyk said...

Last year I was doing the same as you, watching and waiting for my stepmom’s end of life journey You have been on my mind and I keep you in my prayers. All you can do is keep her comfortable and enjoy your last days together. I will keep checking in for an update on your blog, take care of yourself as best you can.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...