Saturday, February 20, 2021

A Few Stitches

 I haven't stitched in weeks and only a very small bit in months. You would think the recent inclement weather would allow me to sneak in a little sewing, but I haven't been able to make that happen. Due to the weather, the cattle sale was cancelled, but I put on my ranch wife hat and have been helping DH. However, I did manage to sneak in a few stitches while he was on a feed run so I took advantage of the gifted time and dusted off my neglected 16-patch  project I worked on last fall:

                               

Completed blocks were stitched into rows:

 And I pulled out this fabric from an earlier Hill Country Spring collection for the backing. In a different scenario, I'd probably use a less busy print, but I'm giving myself brownie points for using what I have and a riot of wildflowers is always a good thing. And yes, it is in serious need of a good pressing:


When I was in Texas last month, I did manage to make this oversized lined drawstring bag:

                                             

I am using it for a dirty clothes bag during road trips. Can a dirty clothes bag bring you joy? I don't want to know what that says about me that it does:

                                            

I was also thrilled to have manipulated technology into allowing me to still use the embroidery capabilities on my sewing machine and stitch a label for a quilt I gifted to the friends who did mom's memorial service:

                                             

It required downloading drivers and reconfiguring some software and for this technology-stunted gal, it was worth a whoop or two. They are retired military and I gave them this quilt:

I also worked on some blocks using a jelly roll pattern. I was really in the mood for some mindless sewing and this project fit the bill:

                                  

Whew, it feels really good to have something stitchy to share! I figured I had better strike while the iron was hot, both literally and figuratively, because more pressing matters await and I am being summoned away from my sewing room:



10 comments:

Kathy S. said...

Your dirty clothes bag (and your sense of humor) brought me joy! Way to use those fabrics that you have. I too am using some more "bold" fabrics from my stash.

Dorian said...

I'm glad you found a few stitchy moments Karin. The background for the wildflower quilt is a bit busy, but I think it fits very well. Glad to hear you are doing well, did you get much of the storms? have a great day.

Deanna said...

I am glad you are safe and sound, if stretched and tired. Yes, mindless sewing is just the thing.

Chantal said...

I don't know what it says about you but I totally agree with you. That oversized bag would bring me joy too. It's so beautiful! Well done. I've put mine to good use more than once. I love it. So sweet that you can donate this beautiful quilt to your friends. I'm happy to see the little calf is doing better. Lovely picture finishing this post. Blessings. ;^)

Meredith said...

LOVE your blog!

Joy in NW iowa said...

Skeet is watching for a drip! Hope you are warming up! Here is Iowa we are climbing the thermometer slowly! Thankfully! Take care!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on getting your 16-Patch quilt sewn together and finishing off that beautiful gift, Karin!!

Sherrill said...

I think that bottle should've been two-nippled!! Then Skeet coulda shared!! Love your red, white and blue quilt and just the fact that you got to sew! YAY

Janet O. said...

That is a great floral back for your 16-patch. I love busy backs because the quilting mistakes aren't obvious. :)
A pretty laundry back makes dirty laundry seem like less drudgery. I think beautiful, functional things are so smart!
A wonderful quilt for the friends who did your Mom;s service, and what a blessing that the technology worked to create that beautiful label.
We all need mindless sewing at times, and lately for me that seems to be all the time!!

Shelly said...

I love how Skeet is "helping" the calf keep his chin clean! Haha! I can't believe you've even gotten that much sewing done, what with everything that's been going on!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...