Monday, November 6, 2023

S'mores Quilt

 Back in 2013, when I saw this pattern 


in this quilt magazine

 I knew it was a quilt I wanted to make. In fact, I riffled through my scraps and made a block immediately. 

And then it was set aside for a variety of reasons (for 10 years?!) ...ranch duties called, there was a need to make a quilt for a sick friend or a new baby, garden and yardwork could no longer be neglected, family and friends came to visit, I was cooking for a crew, helping DH, holidays arrived...you know the drill...life! But I often thought about the quilt and sometimes I would find scraps and toss them in the bin for more blocks. I was stumped on the sashing though. I didn't have anything that I thought would work, but I figured I'd make blocks and worry about sashing later. Then one day, while perusing an online quilt shop earlier this year (maybe Whittles) I ran across something that I thought would work for $6.00 a yard. Yes, I think this will do nicely.

When I was looking at other S'mores quilts recently, I saw that Jo from Jo's Country Junction was working on the same pattern. Her quilts are always so wonderfully scrappy and inspiring. So then, I was itching to dive back in. 

I have an overflowing scrap basket, but it's been so long since I've sewn with these reproduction-ish fabrics that I had to dig way deep. That scrap basket really needs to be sorted in the worst way! Surely there are some great scrap quilts hiding in there!


I piled scraps and stash favorites and  cut a little from each


 (yes, this takes longer than pulling from a scrap user system, but I'm just enjoying the process)
and I started making blocks again. I didn't sew a single stitch in October and it felt so good to put something under the needle again


If I didn't have enough for a block, I just made them scrappy and knowing me, these are going to be my favorite.


I have always loved this block and after I saw that Jo endorsed this ruler, I ordered one to help with accuracy for what can sometimes be a finicky block. I am pretty frugal about collecting tools, and although this one is designed for a 4" and 8" block (plus a snail trail block), I wish a 6" block was included because I could see using that size for other projects. There is a companion ruler for one, but that's a lot of $ to shell out. 


I still have a lot of cutting ahead of me, but I made a dozen blocks this weekend and hope to add to my pile throughout the month. Jo was right, these are fun to make!

9 comments:

Jo said...

YAHOO!!! Aren't they so fun to make?

Gretchen Weaver said...

These are lovely blocks, your quilt is going to be beautiful! Winter will soon be here and you'll have (hopefully) more time for sewing.

Cindy Quilts said...

Your quilt will be lovely. I, too, am working on S'Mores! Seeing you and Jo working on it makes me want to dig mine back out and get busy. I am using mens ties that I have collected for years for the fabric. Of course, they all need interfacing fused to the back, which is taking a loooonnggg time.

Sherrill said...

I THINK Jo over at Jo's Country Junction started on this (my memory isn't the greatest but think it was her) and now you! It's a great quilt so can't wait to see some finishes. I've got two rather large tops almost ready for quilting but backs are needed and that's not my favorite thing to do...ugh.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Thank you for the cookie recipe. And how nice to get this project out and have a renewed interest to work on it. I love repo fabrics, they will always have a place with me. Your blocks are so pretty.

Joy in NW Iowa said...

I love S’mores! I made a very similar pattern from the Fons and Porter girls. I used flannel because the quilts were for my grandsons. I loved making them. I did not have a ruler and it still worked. I will have to try find a picture of those quilts.
I think making this out of scraps would be fun! Hmmmm or even some fabric that was meant to be used for a certain pattern, that I bought how many years ago….thanks for the inspiration!
Also, thanks for the cookie recipe! It makes my mouth water. I am gluten free….wonder if they would work with GF flour. Have to give it a try.
Thanks for writing. I always enjoy your updates! It’s probably because you r a farm wife too! Our farming is finished for the year except my bookwork! Bleh! With animals yours is year round! Take care and be safe!

cityquilter grace said...

great minds think alike! i too saved that pattern for years and finally finished all the blocks; it's basted and in the hoop and i've started the hand quilting...i love it and know you will love yours too

Anonymous said...

Had never heard of Whittles, just went to look, after your mention of them, looks like they have just the backing I need for my current project!

Hope you are having a good fall.

Ceci

Linda said...

I have that pattern on my list too, hopefully I'll get to it "next year" - haha! I am eyeing the ruler you got, just wish the buying options would offer a "pick the size you use the most".
We used to live on a dirt road, so I was drawn to your blog by the name. :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...