Friday, November 3, 2023

Texas Ranger Cookies

I'm sharing another treasured cookie recipe again today. I'm sorry if I'm saturating you with cookie recipes. I think this is the last one, but it's a family favorite and I don't want to leave it out. I think I found this one in a cookbook probably about 25 years ago and it has stood the test of time. 

I haven't made them in a while, but DH has been on the go a lot lately. Since the ranch sold, this place has been absorbed into a larger ranching conglomeration comprising of numerous ranches and everyone gets pulled from their homebase and gathers to help on all the other ranches during Spring and Fall Cow Works. In the last 12 days, we worked 2 days here, 8 days on the other ranches, and 1 day helping neighbors. It's a 3 hour drive to one of the places and a good hour to any of the others so DH is spending lots of time behind the wheel and I generally send him with a tumbler of hot coffee, a protein shake, a banana, and a few cookies and this cookie is really good with coffee.

 Texas Ranger Cookies

1 C butter, softened

1 C sugar

1 C brown sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla 

2 C flour

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

2 C oats - quick or old fashioned 

2 C Rice Crispies

1 C coconut

*Cream sugars and shortening. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Blend into creamed mixture. Stir in oats, cereal, and coconut. Scoop onto parchment-lined cookie sheets and bake for 12-14 minutes at 350°. In a previous post, someone asked a question about how many cookies that particular recipe made. Answer: I have no idea. I'm sorry, I just don't ever count them, but this time I kept that in mind and I got 62 cookies from this batch. Hopefully some of them will make it to into the freezer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting change in the way ranch work is handled; I wonder if it is more efficient overall given that work on the non-host ranches is not covered during work away days.

ANYWAY, thanks for the cookie recipes - my main cookie recipient likes Toll House cookies, and so far that's about it. These look tempting!

Ceci

Sue Swank said...

These cookies look yummy too. I made the peanut butter chocolate chip ones you had described last week. They turned out great. I'll be making these too. So, I don't mind that you post recipes.

pbrenner said...

Yummm, I can almost smell the fresh cookies! This recipe is almost exactly the same as one my mom brought home when when was a cafeteria lady at my high school (in the mid 70's!!) - the only difference is no rice krispies. They would bake these on Monday afternoons (for Tuesday lunches) and we could smell them in the hallways. My mom brought the recipe home and they have been our family's favorites ever since. She would make batches of dough and then roll them into logs and freeze them - they worked perfectly as slice and bake cookies. A few of our family members like to eat the frozen dough, too, lol. Thank you for bringing up a wonderful memory, I think I need to bake a batch for myself now. I hope you and yours are having a happy and blessed Sunday!

Meredith said...

These cookies are great! What a great chewy, crisp texture. Thank you so much for the recipe; the cookies aren’t going to last long.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...