Saturday, July 20, 2024

UT Quilt Finish

 Last year our girl asked if I would make our SIL a football quilt. Well of course! We love Kenny! And this quilt is proof of that! There's a little story behind the quilt I'll share with you. DH and I are Texas A&M graduates. And Kenny is a diehard Longhorn fan. Anyone that keeps up with college football know that there is a legendary rivalry between the two schools. They took a 13 year hiatus as they were in different conferences, but UT is leaving the Big 12 Conference and will join the SEC, resuming the rivalry. 

I told our girl that I was hesitant to sew a Longhorn quilt. Would my diploma be revoked if word got out? Would I have to return my ring? We would be a house divided. Alas, this is all in fun and I bought the forbidden fabric:

I settled on the Scrappy Summer Pattern from Alison at Cluck Cluck Sew and paired the collegiate fabrics with a gray and white from my stash as well as this orange that paired well

                                            

I made a quilt using this same pattern 7 years ago for a college friend of our girl's. You can see that one 

                                                                           HERE.

I really did love making this for Kenny - our girl found a keeper. 

Jackie and Sandy quilted a design called Modernish #4 across it in a gray thread called Oyster Shell

 and I backed it with this print at the request of our girl

And pulled this grunge from my stash for the binding

It finishes at 72 x 80 and I hope Kenny and Baby Lucas will enjoy cheering on the Longhorns while snuggling under it.

 I've been planning to make an Aggie quilt for years - I have all the fabric - so I had better get that one stitched up to redeem myself. I'll lay it across the guest bed when they come for a visit. ๐Ÿ˜‚ If I make Cowboy Cookies and Buckaroo Bundles for him, I think he'll forgive me. ๐Ÿ˜‰

6 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Lovely quilt! This was a good pattern for the mix of fabrics. Happy stitching!

Mary said...

This post definitely made me smile. I am a total Longhorn fan, but I happily made an Aggie quilt for my grandson.

carol fun said...

Great looking quilt!...love the orange and gray together... and you are a great Mom and MIL... we will do anything to make our families happy!

Anonymous said...

Fun quilt - I like the scrappy one better for non-collegiate reasons, just the colorfulness.

Speaking of baby Lucas we haven't seen a picture for a while.

Ceci

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Thats a great quilt!! and no - no revocation... but..... start bribing those grandkids to wear the *Correct* shirt during the games haha!!

Carol in Texas said...

Good for you! Our household is a Longhorn one, since 4 generations of my husband’s family have gone to UT. We lived in Austin for 45 years, so the burnt orange and white were the colors for us! We’ve followed the football team through good years and bad. I’m nervous about the switch in conferences, but I have a lot of faith in this present coach. It will be interesting! My family has a lot of Aggies, so we understand the rivalry and that is what makes football so much fun…..those loyalties and rivalries. I hope your sil loves the quilt. You’re a good sport!!!!! Hook’em!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...