Saturday, May 24, 2008

Made in the USA

Is there anything made in the USA anymore? Is there anything NOT being outsourced and constructed in China or Japan?

Heck, now I don't even want to continue this post. My Dell computer monitor and keyboard are made in China. Michael Dell started Dell Computers in his garage in Austin, Texas. It's disheartening and discouraging.

Now I'm running around the house looking for that made in the USA logo.

Surely it's on the Wranglers that the all american cowboy wears! Nope, those are made in Costa Rica.

How about my son's baseball mitt? Not a chance...made in China.

Now I will be the first to admit that I am completely attached to my digital camera and wash machine and dryer; none of which are American made, but it seems that made in the USA is becoming extinct.

I was somewhat consoled last week when I made my weekly pilgrammage into town and left my money at the local Walmart (I hate that store). Aside from the basket filled with getting-more-expensive-by-the-day groceries, I came home with three things: A gallon jug in which to make sun tea, a Pyrex pie plate, and 4 large iced tea glasses. As I peeled the sticker off of the glass jug I noticed a little flag. Could it be...yep, made in the USA! I hesitantly reached for the pie plate and rejoiced at the sight of those three little letters...USA. The iced tea glasses are homegrown as well. It definitely made my day to know that I could wholeheartedly enjoy my iced tea and buttermilk pie that afternoon.

Alas, my excitement didn't last too long when I went to pull on my shoes to walk off that piece of pie the next morning...sure enough, my shoes were made in Japan. Darn it all.

Think I'll go lose myself in the pages of Huckleberry Finn...it was made in the USA and written back when we didn't rely on the rest of the world to make the things we once made ourselves. I'll curl up under the quilt made in the USA by my mother-in-law and snuggle with my kids....also made in the USA.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...