Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Cajun Cake

Breakfast was at 4:30 this morning. That makes for a long morning. It's only 6 and I've already gotten a lot done, but the boys were headed out to gather cattle and as hot as it's been around here lately, the earlier they get started the better. The other day the thermostat looked like this:


I'm hoping we won't have a repeat like that! Sure makes me super thankful for that new air conditioner!

I was visiting with a friend a few days ago (Hi T!) and she inquired about this recipe when I mentioned I was making it for dessert. I was almost certain I had already shared this with ya'll, but apparently I was wrong.

It happens more often than I care to admit.

Another cattle buyer was heading this way and I was scrambling for ideas. I have let my pantry dwindle away and I was avoiding a trip to town (surprise...surprise...surprise! Said in my Gomer Pyle voice).

I've been making this for about 15 years. DH was off helping on another ranch for about a week and the kids and I were invited to a church supper. The men did all the cooking and the women provided the desserts. I like the sound of that!

DS was 4 at the time and DD was 1 and they were overwhelmed with the insane amount of choices on the never ending dessert table. DS chose this cake and he ate 3 pieces...after eating an entire plate of dinner. I told Debbie that I needed to find out who had made it and wouldn't you know, she had! She said she found it in a church cookbook (isn't that where so many of the best recipes come from?) and had never tried it before. She was sweet to share the recipe with me. I've given this out so many times through the years so now its your turn:



I haven't a clue as to why its called Cajun Cake, but I have a lot of recipes like that. I would really like to know the story behind some of them. Seems like Hawaiian Cake would be more suitable, but either way, its a keeper around here.

Cajun Cake

2 c flour
1 1/2 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1 pinch salt
1 large can crushed pineapple - undrained

*Mix all ingredients well for 3 minutes. Pour into 9x13" cake pan sprayed with Pam. Bake at 350° for 30 - 40 minutes.

Frosting:
1 stick butter
1 small can evaporated milk
1 c sugar
1 c chopped pecans
1 c coconut

*Add butter, evaporated milk, and sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Boil 4-5 minutes until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat. Mix in pecans and coconut. Frost cake. Devour.

2 comments:

Ranch wife said...

This is so funny. I have made this for years, found it in a church cookbook and started to make it right after B and I got married. I adore it, have not made it in a long long time...thinking today might be the day.

I think the recipe I have calls it Pineapple cake.

~M~

Anonymous said...

Yummm! I just may have to make this today.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...