Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Texas Fires Donation Quilt

This year Texas has been hit hard with drought and relentless fires. In one town alone, 1500 homes were destroyed and the area that we still call home, lost over 100,000 acres. Last month The Fat Quarter Shop posted about it and shared how we could help so I pulled out some fabric I have had in my stash for a long time. I do not recall why I bought the fish fabric. I'm sure I had some project in mind. Something for the kids, or something to do with what we were studying when we were homeschooling, or someone went through a phase where they thought they needed to be the Fish King. Well, the kids are grown and we've completed our homeschooling journey :( yet the fabric still sat on a shelf forgotten.

I didn't use a pattern. Just played, pulled some coordinating fabrics from my stash and settled on pinwheels and rows. Little by little, it came to life and a quilt was born. I found some fun, bright, striped fabric for the back.

 I'm sending it off today and I hope it brings a bit of happiness to a child touched by this disaster. It measures 47"x56" now that it is out of the dryer. I took a machine quilting class a couple of weeks ago and this is the first quilt I quilted since then. I just quilted around each triangle in the pinwheel and then I quilted 5 wavy lines through the fishy rows that I thought  added some movement to the water.

I added straight line quilting in the border and love the way the whole thing turned out, but see that this machine quilting is going to take lots of practice. I stitched on the binding (my favorite part) in between cooking for a crew of cowboys.  Praying that it will soon be cuddled and well loved.

I'm linking up with 100 Quilts for Kids. Amazing what can be accomplished when everyone does just a litte bit so thank you Kate for pulling this together.

I'm also hooking up with theSew Darn Crafty Party over at Sew Many Ways this week so go check out all the creative projects that people are sharing. You can link up all week and by the end of the week, there's a ton of inspiration to enjoy.

9 comments:

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Just beautiful!
What an awesome gift for someone. I'm certain it will be appreciated!!!

Dora, the Quilter said...

Great quilt! And a great use for the fun fish fabric!

Shelly said...

It's a great quilt! I also love the one you made for your daughter -- it's awesome. I'm glad you found someone to cook for for a few days. You were starting to sound a bit lonely. But I wish my fridge was that clean!

rosie said...

Karin, you are so talented... what a lovely thing for you to do..
I love the design you chose, and the colors..

Jan M said...

Such a happy quilt for such a special cause. It will be cherished. The fires and drought have been so terrible, but I am loving our rain today!

Krista Schneider said...

Wow, the quilt looks beautiful and fun and happy, so nice of you to make it for fire victims.

juliehallfeldhaus said...

Just love your quilt. I'm sure it will be well loved by someone!! I have quilted the wavy lines to represent wind too. I'll have to remember and use it for water to.
We got our beans and 2 neighbors beans combined with no problems or fires. It was so windy there was several fires everyday last week. We were lucky and got some rain over this weekend about an inch here so things are safer. This week we will start weaning calves, glad they won't have to breath in the dust in the lots.

Deanna said...

Lovely and loving. What size are your pinwheels?

Katie @SwimBikeQuilt said...

I was sure I had commented... your quilt looks great! I can't imagine wildfires...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...