Friday, December 30, 2011

Cranberry Sour Cream Pound Cake and a Thank You

better known at Jesus' Birthday Cake around here!



This is our most treasured recipe. I have been making it since 1995 when I found it in an old issue of Ladies Home Journal. Years ago, my MIL and I had a few subscriptions to different magazines and we would save back issues and share them with each other when we saw each other. The first time I made this, our son was 5 and our daughter was 2 and I thought it sounded like a good cake to make to celebrate Jesus' birthday. I don't rightly recall where the idea came from, but it stands to reason that if we are celebrating His birthday He should have a cake. And as much as we celebrate Santa and all the holiday trappings, I really wanted to have a separate, special tradition for the REAL reason we celebrate Christmas here at the end of the dirt road. I remember how absolutely-crazy-excited the kids were about it that first year...and every year.  Birthday's were super special and this one was the most special of all!

I only make this cake once a year and it is always, always the one thing we most look forward to making.

Cranberry Sour Cream Pound Cake

3 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 c butter, softened (no substitutes)
2 c sugar, divided
1 Tbsp grated orange peel
6 large eggs separated
1 c sour cream
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 c fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped (I just chop mine in half)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease large bundt pan. (I was thinking of replacing mine because it is looking a tad disheveled, but the ones I have seen are smaller and I don't think they would hold this batter. The kids also told me that a new pan was not allowed. It MUST be made in THIS pan). Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in medium-sized bowl. Beat butter in a large bowl until creamy. Gradually beat in 1 3/4 c sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in orange peel. Add egg yolks one at a time. Beat in sour cream and vanilla. At low speed, gradually beat in flour mixture until just combined. Beat egg whites at medium speed in a clean bowl with clean beaters until foamy. Slowly add remaining 1/4 c sugar, and continue beating until soft peaks form. Fold 1/2 of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining egg whites. Gently, fold in cranberries. Spoon into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool  on baking rack for 15 minutes.

Our Marine son and college daughter are home for Christmas and we are over the moon excited about it so I won't be spending much time around the computer until after the New Year, but I wanted to take this time to thank each and every one of you for taking the time to read here and visit with me. It truly warms my heart to get to know you via this medium and I greatly appreciate your kind comments as well as the warm conversations and friendships that follow. You make me wish that the miles were not so far between us, but this is the next best thing to chatting over a mug of coffee and warm fresh cookies from the oven. Thank you so much for your wonderful surprise packages that have brought treasured pieces of you into our home. Your kindness and generosity have brought, and continue to bring smiles to my heart.

Wishing you and yours a very Blessed Christmas and May His presence bring you great peace and joy and comfort in the coming New Year!

Much love,
A very thankful and blessed Dirt Road Girl

4 comments:

rosie said...

Hi Karin,
Wishing you and your family a wonderful and safe New Year... I hope that 2012 will be very special.....

carol fun said...

I love the idea of a cake for Jesus' birthday - just wonderful. And that recipe sounds very yummy. Have a great time with your kids and a Happy New Year!

Denise :) said...

Karin, this sounds lovely! I've been looking for something for New Year's Day and I think this fits the bill! Remembering how much I *always* enjoy your recipes reminded me that I have something for you!! Look for a little package early in January! :)

Steph D said...

My granddaughter and I are putting this in the oven as we speak. We’re excited to try it! Thank you and 🥳 Happy New Years

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...