Saturday, December 31, 2011

Gingerbread Cowboys


Two posts in one day - After the Cranberry Sour Cream Pound Cake, this is our favorite Christmas baked good. I've been making these forever too. By the time I got around to taking a photo, all the good ones were gone, but these will have to do. I recruited a few elves who were new to the process of decorating. I'm fairly certain y'all have already packed away all things Christmas, but I wanted to sneak these in under the wire before we move into the new year. These are great with a good cup of coffee and the men seem to always  get a kick out of them. I should probably make them for the crew sometime, even if it's not Christmas.

Here's the recipe I use, but you can just use whatever recipe your family likes. I double this:

1 C margarine, softened (I rarely have margarine, so I generally use unsalted butter which may explain why the dough is a little dry. Just sprinkle a few tsp of water over it - were all about making things work around here)
1 C packed brown sugar (you can use dark brown if you like)
1/2 C dark molasses
4 C flour
2 1/2 tsp ginger
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

*Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses. Combine remaining ingredients. Gradually mix into butter-sugar-molasses. Roll out dough in portions between wax paper and freeze for about 30 minutes. This allows the dough to firm up before cutting out the shapes and it helps to keep the shape while baking. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes. Cool and frost. I mix up Wilton's Royal Frosting:

3 Tbsp Meringue Powder
4 C powdered sugar
6 Tbsp warm water

Wishing you and yours a New Year filled with blessings!

6 comments:

Denise :) said...

Karen, these are just darling! And your piped frosting decorating just makes 'em! Saving this recipe for future use! Happy New Year! :)

Michelle said...

Those are so cute! We somehow made it through the holidays without making or eating any gingerbread, something I've got to fix now. Thanks for posting the recipie.

Chiska said...

So cute! Happy New Year!

juliehallfeldhaus said...

Those are super cute.
I am working on putting my stuff away today. I brought up the snowmen to replace the santas on the mantel.

Staci said...

Karin, these must be the world's cutest cookies! Seriously, I can't get over them!

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Oh Karin - those are so darn cute! I love them - you're going to have to do a frosting tutorial for us - because your cookies are perfect! Hugs!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...