Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Lemon Meringue Cake

We're working cattle again this week so I'm back in  the kitchen and prying my eyes open at 2:30 in the morning.

I just wanted to pop in and let y'all know that our boy did get back to Camp Pendleton safely. Thank you so much for putting up with a Mama's worry and for your thoughts and prayers. I truly appreciated them. He called along the way a couple of times when he stopped for fuel. He's a good boy. :) We called him when we calculated that he ought to have arrived and he picked up saying, "Hey, I'll call y'all back in a minute. I've got to get a haircut." LOL. He drove directly up to the barbershop and squeaked in just under the wire before they closed. He had to be on post early on Monday morning and that haircut had better be up to regulation. He had a good trip and is making plans to fly back and pick up his truck next chance he gets. We would go pick it up and bring it back home, but that would add another 4 hours to the trip back for him.

I thought I'd share a recipe with y'all today. I made this this afternoon for dessert tomorrow.


This is another one of those recipes I've been making for over 20 years. I found it in a Farm Bureau Cookbook and it is a much requested recipe by the crew.


 Lemon Meringue Cake

1 pkg yellow cake mix
1/2 C softened butter
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 1/3 C sugar
1/2 C cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 C water
4 eggs, separated
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 Tbsp grated lemon rind
1/2 C fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp cream of tarter
1/2 C sugar

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
*Stir cake mix, butter, and egg together and press into 9 x 13 cake pan. Set aside.
*Combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, and water  in a saucepan over low heat. Stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil.
*Add the egg yolks quickly and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat.
*Stir in butter, lemon rind, and lemon juice, and pour everything over crust.
*Beat the 4 egg whites together with 1/4 tsp cream of tarter until frothy. Gradually add the 1/2 c sugar and beat at high speed until stiff peaks form.
*Spread over lemon filling and bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.



I'm serving barbecue sandwiches, coleslaw, corn on the cob, potatoes, and jalapeno poppers for dinner.

Come and get it!




14 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh YUM!!!! I am on my way!!

Pauline said...

Looks like another winner! Thanks so much Karin. Seems I have an entire file of your recipes.

Carol said...

OMG is there any left? I'm on my way! That looks amazing!

Dorian said...

So glad he made it back safe and sound :) MMM, that cake looks yummy, thank you.

Staci said...

Glad he made it back okay,and had to smile about the haircut. My husband's done that on many occasions, raced for the barber shop before even coming home.
That cake looks awfully delicious!

Nancy said...

Thanks for the update on your Marine. I'm thankful he had a safe trip.

The cake looks yummy!

Dar said...

Glad your son made it home ok. Cake looks scrumptious. Does that mean there is a total of 5 eggs - one for the cake mix and the other 4 separated?

Nancy said...

I was so pleased to read that your son made it back safely. He was in my prayers on Sunday. Ouch to a new transmission! But lucky you to get to drive out and see him again, Karin. (Well, maybe not lucky for the long drive, but lucky to see him!)

Michigan Gal said...

Yum! I need a good dessert recipe for a family function tomorrow and I'm glad you posted this. :)

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Praise the Lord for a safe arrival! That dessert looks really yummy...will have to try that, maybe for my mom's bday next month. She loves lemon meringue! Take care!

Anonymous said...

The cake looks wonderful, but I am wondering if it really calls for 1/2 cup of corn starch. That seems like a lot of corn starch.

Ranch Wife said...

Anonymous - I can't reply back to you since your comment in anonymous so I hope you see my reply here in the comments.
Yes, 1/2 C of cornstarch is the correct amount. I know its a lot - I thought so too, but it gives the filling the perfect consistency every time.

Michigan Gal said...

I made this for dessert this weekend and it turned out wonderfully. Just enough tartness and sweetness for a mouthful of yum!

Anonymous said...

Glad your boy made it to base ok,long ride!That cake looks so good!Gonna have to try to make it,never had heard of it and I LOVE lemon!
Thanks for sharing it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...