Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Saddle Up Western Quilt in Progress

I finally carved out some time to actually work on the western quilt I posted about weeks ago. After that post, I never touched it, but I managed to get it cut out this weekend and started making blocks.


Monday was a crazy long day at the Sale Barn. We sold 1316 HD and it was 7:30 when I left. The sales are always longer in the fall and we were all pooped by the end of the day. If you've never been to a sale barn, just know that the pace is wild and never stops unless a rogue bull goes ballistic and jumps fences. As they say - all's well, ends well and everyone stayed safe. Back in the day they sold 3 or 4 times that many and the sales lasted until 4 or 5 next morning. Sure glad I wasn't working there then!

This is a free pattern, called Whimsical Quilt. I found it HERE and I chose it specifically to showcase some of the western fabrics I have collected through the years. It's constructed one block at a time so the sewing's a little different than the quilts I usually make.

One of DH's cousins is battling cancer and I thought I would make this for him so now I'm on a mission to get it done fast. Winters in Nebraska get cold so I'm thinking Minky (what's the proper way to spell that anyway?) or flannel will end up on the back.

The one thing I didn't like about this pattern was that I wasn't able to listen to an audio book while I worked on it. I had to pay pretty close attention to which piece went where for each step of the block making process. Even so, I ended up using the stitch ripper more than once.

However, stitching one seam and one block at a time also allows you to make good progress on your leader-ender project:


But 4 blocks have been made and there are only 12 in the quilt so I hope to have the top finished in a few days.


This afternoon I"m sewing in between batches of M&M Cookies with 2 goals. Make 4 more blocks and don't burn any cookies. :)





16 comments:

Melody A. said...

Love your blocks, they are going to be wonderful and will surely bring comfort to someone when they are low. Love your blog. Love the honesty of it and all the work you have to do and still wanting to make quilts and bake cookies. You are lovely.

Janet O. said...

I have burned cookies while sewing, so I know the importance of that goal. Timer goes off and I think, "I just need to finish this seam." In a heartbeat I can forget that I am getting cookies out of the oven and I keep right on sewing. : )
That pattern does make a great showcase for your prints. I like the black outlines.

Tired Teacher said...

That pattern is going to showcase the fabrics nicely. I love the black sashing.

Great job on the cookies AND the blocks.

Chantal said...

Love the fabric you picked. The blocks look so nice with the blue sashing. Sorry to hear about your DH's cousin though. That's sad. Thanks for the link as I checked it out and got a few free patterns for me. Mmmm cookies! ;^)

Jenny said...

Your Western quilt is going to look great!!

Pauline said...

Really great patter to show off your western fabrics. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt. I've added the pattern to my files.

Dorian said...

Glad you're getting some sewing time in Karin. Prayers for your honey's cousin.

Kevin the Quilter said...

What a great gesture for your cousin. Yeehaw on getting a great start on your western fabrics!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Love the blocks that showcase your western fabrics. Good luck with the cookies. I've "browned" my share of cookies finishing seams. I have hundreds of different 30's fabrics and that pattern would be a great one to use them up. I'm seriously trying to deplete my stash....without much luck..LOL!!!

Judy said...

It's a wonderful pattern to showcase your fabrics! It's going to be a wonderful quilt for his cousin. I pray he beats that nasty C. I can't cook and sew. It's like 10 minutes and my sewing room is down the hall. I know all turned out! Have a wonderful week. We leave on our trip to Texas next week depending on the rain. It's wonderful to have the rain but we have to load up our truck and I would rather not have things wet. Once we get to Nevada I'm sure there will not be much. We are pulling our travel trailer. We are spending the holidays with our daughter and will have our trailer in a very nice RV park. We won't be staying at there house!! We return in January so it should be a nice restful time. Once my daughters lemon tree is out of the trailer I will do some sewing!!

Doniene said...

Absolutely wonderful!! I caught up on your last few posts! So once to hear things are good in your neck of the woods!

Blessings and hugs!

Margaret said...

That quilt will be absolutely perfect. I'm sure it will bring solice and comfort to your husband's cousin. Blessings to you for your generous spirit!

Dora, the Quilter said...

This is going to be a really wonderful quilt!

(When I make quilts like this, I pray the whole time for the recipient; not sure that would work while both quilting an baking cookies!)

Dar said...

Those are great blocks to showcase your fabrics. I love M&M cookies too. It's been a long time since I've had any though.

Summer said...

Looking pretty so far ♥

deneuve said...

tes tissus sont superbes avec les chevaux..toujours heureuse de lire ton blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...