Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Southwestern Egg Rolls

Our girl made these last week and gave me some for supper one night when I stopped by her place and they were wonderful! She shared the recipe with me  and I made them on Saturday. DH loved them too and I knew I had to share them with ya'll.


We're big fans of tortillas around here, but we really don't need all those carbs and calories. Honestly, tortillas are a food group here and I'm not about to give them up, but switching out tortillas for egg roll wrappers is a good alternative now and then. These are easy to make, healthy, freeze well and taste great. That makes them a keeper.

Shredded, cooked chicken ( I used about 1/2 of the tenderloins in the photo below)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen corn
1 small package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
3 big spoonfuls of fresh green chile ( or 1 small can)
1 scant tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
some red pepper flakes
1 1/2 c shredded Mexican blend cheese
1 beaten egg for egg wash

I saute my chicken up in a pan with a a tad of olive oil and some pepper, a tiny bit of seasoning salt, and granulated garlic and then shred it


Add chicken to bowl and mix all other ingredients together - minus the egg


Place some of your mixture at one end of the egg roll. I brushed some of the egg wash around all 4 sides of the egg roll wrapper and rolled it up. Then bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until they just start to turn brown a bit. I think I baked mine for closer to 20 minutes.

Judy, over at Patchwork times posted about a sauce that she makes using this and I haven't made the sauce yet, but we used this on the egg rolls because I was out of sour cream to mix with my salsa and it was delicious with these egg rolls! We're not fans of cilantro and this has cilantro in it, but we really liked it last night:


Thank to our Kiddo who is turning out to be pretty handy in the kitchen as well as in the scholarly world, and pasture.



4 comments:

Judy said...

Thank you! I will make a few for me w/o the chicken, then add the chicken for my hubby!! I have another for you: take two pounds of hamburger, fry it in a pan, add a can of tomato sauce, I think just a small can. Drain some kidney beans, 1 can, add them to the meat. Place some mixture in a flour tortilla. Fold one side, start at the bottom, , then each side in, then fold over onto the top. Fry in some oil to brown. They are called Chimmie Choncas.

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

Those look good!! Have to give them a try to snack on while we watch NASCAR this weekend. I am glad to find some one else not caring for cilantro! Pretty much gags me!! LOL!!!

sandi s said...

This looks good, thanks for sharing. Hugs,

Dar said...

Thanks for this. They sound delicious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...